flathead catfish on Chicken livers

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathunter, Jul 4, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have ben fishing for flatheads for 30 years, and never cuaght or saw a flathead caught on livers..i started channel catfishing 5 years before I started flathead fishing.

i fished chicken liver most of the time, never caught a flathead on them.

As soon as I started targetting flatheads with live and cut fish, I started to catch flatheads in the same locations, that I never caught any on livers.

I know people who show me pics of flatheads they say they caught on liver, the pics always turn out to be bullheads.

So has anybody ever caught a decnt sized flathead 20-lbs on chicken liver?

Please changed my mind on this, cause I really doubt that it happens much, if at all.

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Never caught a 20#er on liver, but have caught some 3 or 4#ers on it.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lol. The first decent flathead I ever caught was on fresh chicken liver,18# in a muddy creek. One time a buddy and I were using black/green rotten liver on the Ohio River by the Belleview lock at Reedsville and tore up the smaller flats, 3 to 6 # all night till we ran out. Then the next morning we found pieces that fell off in the rocks and started catching them again! lol Now I know this isn't the norm, but it did happen and I would only be guessing as why, but suffice it to say, I know the difference between flats and bulls. :wink:

4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Closest I've come to that is catching ONE 24 lber on cut mooneye........

5. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have seen one caught on liver and it was 30#. That is the only one I have ever seen caught on them. I also saw one caught on a peice of BBQ chicken before too. But that doesnt happen often if ever.

6. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    My compliments to the grillmaestro!:happy::002::big_smile_2:

7. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    never caught one at all till i started using live or cut bait!!

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    My son in law caught a flatty back in 1999 using chicken livers at washington county state lake in Illinois around midnight it was 22 pounds . He was throwing near a dock where we was catching channels .

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i believ if its food and its plced infront of them they take it, i got a dam they use shad crayfish bluegill jigs worm, all work, the best bet there is jigs, and crayfish and bluegill, id like to get some heavy jigs thith big hooks that will burry into them,

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I do believe that one of the Indy guys, I think it was Eric, caught a 50+ on some garlic cured liver a few years back.
    I never fish with liver so I cannot comment with first hand knowledge...W

11. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    NEVER-----although I caught a 6# lm bass on liver:eek:oooh:

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    you dont want to expect one on it, lets say that, will they ake it sometimes,but why wast time using it wen its not there preferance, i hate beans but if im hungry and its there i might try them lol

13. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Slikk, Did that flattie just come out of your trunk??????? :confused2:

14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,ve seen two over twenty caught on liver,both by my brother.One was this past wednesday.He,s like the king of off the wall baits,I hate to see him catch one,it just serves to encourage him.Next time he comes up with some weird concoction and I tell him it aint gonna catch no flats ,he,ll throw those two in my face.:roll_eyes:

15. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

I personally have never caught one on chicken liver but I have seen one caught on chicken liver and it was a legit flathead. this guy actually has a flathead pond, believe it or not, I've never seen one come out of a pond before this day either but I threw live shinners in and he put on chicken liver and I'll be darned if he didn't pull out a 15 pound flattie. It wasn't a bullhead or a channel it was a legit flathead but was a dark black color due to it livin in a pond. blew my mind!!!!!:confused2: that's the only time I can say I've even heard of one bein caught on chicken liver I've heard of more bein caught on hot dogs than liver

16. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Not on chicken liver. But, I've caught dozens of them this time of the year, Pre-spawn and spawn on a big ball of night crawlers.. They like crawdads this time of year too. I guess it's because when the females are full of eggs they dont have a whole lot of room for big foods. so, they downsize thier diet.

17. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Never have caught any flats on liver. Have caught quite a few and some pretty nice ones on shrimp though.

18. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I personally have not caught a flathead on chicken livers. All mine have come from live baits. I do know a guy who used to fish a paylake that was full of big flatheads. He caught 4 flatheads on liver in one night. The biggest was over 30 lbs. He was dipping the livers in motor oil. From the looks of the flatheads....they were starving and looked poorly. I will sometimes use chicken livers for channelcats.:cool2:

19. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    i guess if ones hungary enough he might snack on sum, but i never seen it, but i never use it either thou, i would stick with something live like live bream or better yet,live bream!! lol

20. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ive caught some 3 and 4 lb flats out of a 175 acre lake on chicken livers. Not many though. It does happen occasionally. Ive never seen a 20+ lb. flat on livers. Never heard of it.