Flathead catfish on bank poles and limblines

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by MuddyWaterCats, Apr 20, 2007.

1. MuddyWaterCats

MuddyWaterCats New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Is anyone catching any flatheads on bank poles, limb lines, etc.? And what baits are you having the most success with.

2. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Live breammmm. But I don't think it's legal very many places.:crazy:

3. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I haven't started this year yet but I limbline a lot.

For bait I was bluegills & Green perch. When I can get them bullhead, they are my favorite kind of bite to use.

4. dobbie

dobbie Member

Josh I would use any type of perch you can get.And in Oklahoma they are legal bait.

5. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Limb line are illegal in Illinois. I have used bluegills, sunfish, chubs, goldfish, and crawfish to catch flatheads on bank poles.

6. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Limb lines are legal here in NC but using bream on them is not:sad2: .I set some every once in a while and I use cut shad or cut bream,pork hearts or what ever else I can get my hands on.Bad thing about setting them here is you got other people checking them for ya:angry_2: .Have had that happen more times than I like to say.Thats why I don't set them often.Best of luck to ya!

7. jonboy4542001

jonboy4542001 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Its legal here in KY. Like everyone else said bluegill is always a good bet. I like cut shad a lot too, especially for channels..

8. jacob

jacob New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i catch alot on limblines and bankpoles...i normaly catch small bluegill or shad in my castnet(u can catch smaller live bate quick and easy thatway).

9. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I like to use the bank poles. The fish in my avatar was caught on a bankpole last Memorial Day. He was 57lbs. As far as bait, I prefer large goldfish, from 6-10" long. Live shad and bluegill work good too, but I've had the best luck with goldfish. I've even used leaches.

10. recurvericky

recurvericky New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Timber Cat
    I just moved from NC after living there 40 yrs, per the NCWRC Live Bream can be used as bate but you can only pocess the creel limit.

11. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Its a very effective set up for me. We catch a lot of flats on limblines and bank poles. Usually a good size bluegill,shiner,sucker,creek chub ect for bait.

12. tritech

tritech New Member

State:
    NC
    live bream can NOT be used on anything other than poles in nc

13. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Live bullheads are great cause they don't die until they are eatin.

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i would have to say the bream would be the #1, but bullheads are also an awesome bait on any kind of line!

15. deepforkrunner

deepforkrunner New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    no not yet pete

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Seems like fiberglass fence poles would work well, and be a lot tougher than pvc. Found 1/2" X 4' online for about $2.50 each. Better yet, find someone who has a patch of the big cane and get them to save you some of the stuff they have to cut out of it every year. Or grow your own.

17. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    bullheads are my bait of choice because they stay alive until something eats them. Perch work good too

18. abssprint

abssprint New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Do you guys hook your gills in the back on your bank poles??? I hooked all mine through the eyes last year, but this year my bait doesn't seem to be living as good that way...Tx

19. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i always hook through back in stiller water. I will hook in front of dorsal fin in moving water, i dont really fish CRAZY fast water so i dont know how well thru the eyes works.