Flathead catfish On A Stringer?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by GETHOOKED, Nov 10, 2006.

1. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE ON KEEPING FLATS ON A STRINGER OR ROPE WHILE STILL FISHING IN THE SAME AREA FOR FLAT'S? I KNOW I DONT LIKE TO KEEP CHANNEL CATS CLOSE WHILE I AM STILL FISHING DUE TO THE NOISES THEY SEEM TO MAKE. DOES OR HAS A CAUGHT FLATHEAD ON A STRINGER OR ROPE EVER HINDERED FISHING? OR ARE TEHY FINE TO KEEP WITH YOU CLOSE ON BANK IN THE WATER?:confused2:

2. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I dont really know because i fish from a boat. I dont see a problem with it though. i throw mine in the livewell they will kick around a minute and simmer down.

3. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    we tie a rope to ours and just put them under the water so they cant swim around and dont have to worry about them getting in the way. We catch fish with them on the rope but i dont know if it would hurt the fishing. We caught 6 last weekend and all of them was on rope tied to boat.

4. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i dont put fish on stringers anymore. dont like havin the snakes come around n feed on em. I throw mine on ice right away. once in a while during daytime n catchin lil ones ill use a basket.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I cut a little slit under their bottom jaw and tie a stringer to them. I do this when fishing from a boat and it never seems to hinder the bite. I have had 200lbs of flatheads on their at one time and keep catching them.

6. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Wish I could say that.

7. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I went a lot of nights and got skunked with no fish on the stringer and some times i have had good nights and caught several. i do not think it matters to the fish, some splashing around might draw some in thinking there's baitfish being feed on. i do tie them a lttle ways down from where i am fishing just to make sure i do not get tangled up in the stringer if i have a nice fish to land.

8. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I only put my stringer up through by the gill plate, but not aroudn the gills. Tie it down snug so the loose line doesn't hurt their gills. If you are keeping them, it doesn't matter, but I release all my flatties. I never cut a hole in their lip unless I am keeping any fish. if you had a hole in your cheek, how would your breathing be?

I don't really know if it affects the fish bite. I have wondered myself, but just because I don't like the extra possibility of noise, I tie mine up away from me. Sometimes 30-50 yards away depending on how much access to the water I have from the bank. Boat fishing, I don't think it would matter. If you are anchored in current on a river, I would not think it would be any different than debris hitting your boat.

9. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    It is something I have never done. I keep all my catch in a ice chest that I will be taking home. I did read that you sould not do it if your bass or crappie fishing in small waters one time but I don't know for sure. I do know one thing. When I'm line fishing which I do alot it never seams to affect the fish catching when you got fish on the line. I've had a 50 hook trotline out and took 30 fish off the line. It seams line the fish would act no different on a line that on a stringer.

10. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Excellent point coolarrow!

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    When I used to wade for bass, I'd keep 'em on a stringer, until I got educated and learned you weren't supposed to keep them. Back when the limit was 15, I guess that was why when I got 10 or 11 on the stringer, the bite slowed down. With channels, I see no difference the noise they make has on the fishing. Don't catch enough flats yet to know.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I've read lots on this issue and the main point seems to be that for schooling fish like smallmouth if you hook one then let it go when it gets back to the school it is giving off a chemical scent that turns the others off. They have done tests with largemouth where the same scent is given off by a particular fish if its caught on a R&R or introduced to a predator fish like a northern pike. I've also read about flathead studies where they would set trot line in long desolate runs ( shallow water with no cover) and they would catch more flats on the lines there than in holes or log jams. They said they thought the thrashing around of the first couple flats hooked called in all the others. So my guess is keep em tied to the boat till you are ready to move to the next spot. If you catch one and release him straight back he will discourage any others from feeding.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Splashing of any kind is one of the finest Gator calls known.The return of the Gator has dramatically changed some summertime down South fishing methods.You now have to keep this in mind or suffer the consequences.peewee-williams

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

No stringer for me. If I plan on keeping fish they go straight onto the ice in a cooler.

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You sound just as supersticius as I am about those blues and channels making niose but I have never had really any problem with it actually messing up my fishing especially with flatheads.

16. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    We had a big cat tournament here in eastern nc last spring and they said they asked the NC fish and game about how we should go about keeping the fish alive for a tournament. They said the best way is to put a small hole through the front bottom of their mouth. They said having a rope slide against their gills for hours will hurt them a lot more than a little hole. All the catfish in that tournament that I saw were alive and then released.