Flathead catfish on a minnow

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Boogie68MHS, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    I went crappie fishing at Sangcris lake in central Illinois yesterday and did quite well with the crappie even had one that was almost 17 inches.

While dropping a minnow over a sunken log I hooked a 15 LB ftathead. I never thought I would get him in with the light rig and wire hook, but after about 15 minutes I finally coaxed him in.

ATE HIM TODAY.

2. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Good catch man, I like to go out for crappies when time permits. Hooking onto a good flat is definiatly a bonus!

Aaron

TA2D

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    heck of a catch on light tackel! He wont taste as good as the crappie though. :lol:

4. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I have been catching 2-5 pound channels on a minnow with white jig head when I'm out crappie fishing...Nice job on the flatty!

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Big fish on light tackle is a fun time, nice fish. I know a couple of guys who have caught nice flatheads on crappie minnows.

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Congrats On The Nice Flattie, Just Goes To Show You,"Ya never Know", Last Summer We Were Fishing With Small Grasshoppers In An Attempt To Catch Bluegills For Catfish Bait.

Well Low-N-Behold, We Bypassed The Second Step, The Cats Were Eating THe Grasshoppers:tounge_out: Never Give Up The Faith, Elliot

7. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I was crappie fishing about a month ago and caught a 25 lb flattie on a crappie minnow. I'll never know how i managed to get him outa that thick cover i was fishing with a 10 foot ultralite and 6 pound test. guess i shoulda bought a lotto ticket when i get in, lol

8. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Excellent catch. It must have been fun using the light equipment.

9. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Dave, I've never caught a flathead but once when I was crappie fishing with a jig and minnow with a crappie pole and one of those little plastic reels I got one up to the top of the water long enough to see that it was a little flat. He looked like he might have went 3-4 pounds and I think I had a little bigger one on later but I didn't see enough to know for sure.
    I remember reading in the paper several years ago that a guy from Texas was crappie fishing and caught a huge flat. If I remember right it set some kind of line class record.
    You just never know.

ST

:0a23:

10. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    i remember that i think he was 66lb flatty cought on 6lb tst line...i may be wrong but oh well:confused2:

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    serval Yearsago Up On Salt River At The Coffer Dam They Was Knocking The Heck Out Of Flats With Jigs For About A Month Then They Stopped Hitting Them. You Just Never Know.

12. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    I caught my first flathead of the year a week ago. I was crappie fishing with 4 pound line and tube jig when he decided he wanted to take the tube jig with him. One heck of a fight for 4 pound fish, he shook his head as much as a salt water fish :lol:

13. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    congrats on the nice fish

14. catfish joe

catfish joe New Member

State:
    louisville kentucky
    way to go bro...i had a freind catch a state line class record i think it was a 78 # blue on 6lb test....And i heard about a guy that caught a cat on crank bait that would be wild to experance

15. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    Yea I have cought channels on soft baits before, but never more than a couple of pounds.

16. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Good catch.

That's happened to lots of folks in my family of crappie fishermen. My grandfather has the record of a 17 lb Flat caught while crappie fishing. He caught it off a bridge and had to find a way down to the water along rip-rap and blowdowns to land it. Not a bad feat for a 75 year-old.

17. j.klein

j.klein New Member

State:
    missouri
    they love minnows and worms