Flathead Catfish of all shades - Canary Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Rob Heflin, May 31, 2006.

1. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
  2. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Not that I have ever seen! That fish looks like it's been dead for a few days!

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    a freind of mine caught one like that here in ohio, we thought it might have been an albino.

4. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    No, that fish was fresh off of the hook. I've caught several that color. Caught another the next log jam up and it was dark orange with brown mottling (normal color).

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I think their colr has alot to do with the structure that they live in. Kinda like a comelion, changes colors to hide. But not necesarily the same way.
    Flatheads are ambush preditors. So you would think that they would have to blend into the structure to accomplish this.

6. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    One of our fisheries biologists says that water clarity has a lot to do with a fish's skin color. The water in this particular river could be mistaken for Yoohoo. But that still doesn't explain how fish from the same "color" water can vary so drastically in coloration.

They do lose the bright yellow after they've been in the cooler for a while (much like a "redlegged" mallard's feet change from deep orange to light orange after being killed).

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It all depends on where they are sitting (and their mood - put him in a livewell for an hour and he'll change).

I'm convinced that you can get clues on where the fish are sitting based on their color. When they are all smooth yellow, I think that means they have been sitting on pretty clean sand. Brown and black mottled prolly means they are matching to blend in with woody snags.

8. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Usually when they are more of a yellow tint, they have been laying in rocky areas.

9. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Only rocks here are on the gravel roads. All river bottom here is pure mud. Some sand further south where another river and creek come from the hills.

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    OK, so I'm speaking from my personal frame of reference in coastal SC. Like you said, our only rocks are trucked in from elsewhere. The bottom of the Edisto River is mostly coarse sand. Basically like builders sand. But the idea is that the flatrheads are changing color to match thier surroundings, so their color can give a hint where the've been sitting. What color is your mud?

11. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    What color is our mud? Haha. It varies from fudge colored to milk chocolate.

That fish in my picture must've been hiding under a yellow 5-gallon bucket.

12. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    At my local Cabelas they have 3 flatheads about 40-60 # in a tank and all three are greatly varied in color. One is almost yellow, while one is brown, and one is almost black. Ive seen them several times over the last few months and there color hasnt changed. I believe they can change slightly but I think location, genetics, and food source play a part in what color they turn out.

13. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    I caught 3 that were all about 3 pounds each and 2 were almost black and 1 was yellow/Brown. They all came from under the same log jam in about 30 minutes of each other.

14. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Well, that is interesting. Coloration must be due more to genetics than anything else.

Hey, Dave. Where was your avatar pic taken? Looks like a Vietnam-era photo.

Got one of my dad and the members of his tracker team at Dong Tam, I think. 68-69. He was with 9th Inf., 65th Infantry Platoon, Combat Tracker Team. Trained by the Gurkhas and British in Malaysia. 4 man team with labrador. The worked in the Delta. I've heard him talk of Saigon, Dong Tam, Tan An (sp?) and other places.

Rob

15. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    Yes it was taken in 1969 at Di-An (Zion) I was a young buck then.

I am familar with the places you mentioned. I was a tank commander with the 11th Cavalry and we we pretty much all over. We did a sweep and destroy near My Tho which is about 4 miles from Dong Tan.

16. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    Yea acualy i cought one a lil lighter than that couple weeks ago

17. RRaider

RRaider Guest

Are you fishing near a Nuclear power plant? :lol:

18. meat_hunter

meat_hunter New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Just In Pictures That Ive Seen

19. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive never seen one that yellow before

20. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes I have.

Thats why one of their many names is "Yellow Cat" along with "Appaloosa Cat"
    "Tabby Cat" and so on., many many different colors and the very same Mud Cat.