Flathead Catfish not wanted in PA?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by SWeiss, Sep 22, 2009.

1. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    This is the first I've read of this.

From the PA Fish & Boat Commission Website...

Flathead catfish populations have since been introduced to eastern PA waters where they are not native and not wanted.

If anglers catch flathead catfish in the Susquehanna or Schuylkill River basins, they are encouraged to take them and not release them, regardless of size....

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/catfish_flathead.htm

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Encouraged does not mean REQUIRED!

There are 2 options when you catch flathead catfish out of the Susquehanna and Schuylkill Rivers.
    1. Let them swim.:big_smile:
    3. Feed them to the racoons.:angry:

You will no way get fined if you CPR flathead catfish.:cool2:

3. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah they were saying that years ago. They're starting to be accepted by more anglers (at least that's what it seems like). There are still plenty of haters but there is NO WAY that the flathead population can be removed. They're just as established as any other species now.

4. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I agree!I even spoke to a game commission guy and he said it would be futile to try and remove flatheads at this point from the Skuke anyway:smile2:

5. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.
    Sorry,I missed the memo that declared them GOD! They can kiss IT.:smile2:

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    that was years ago when they were tryin that whole shock and awe tactic, flatheads were labeled as bad as snakeheads, now on the PA fish commish. website they advertise flatheads being caught and what baits to use and say nothin about beachin them anymore, i think they realise that maybe they'll sell more fishing licenses if they keep them around

7. SnagHatr76

SnagHatr76 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Im not from around there but i would be sick to my stomach if i came upon a fishing spot and saw a big flatty just thrown up on the bank.

8. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    They The commission said themselves, the head of our region Mike Kauffman Flatheads are in the Schuylkill river to stay and there is really nothing anyone can do about it.So they are going to multiply and spread to wherever they please and eat whatever they please so get used to it!Don't be afraid bass fisherman there are still healthy populations of bass where flats are already established so if you hook into a flat you don't have to bank em any more just say no and let it go!!

9. pennsyvinn

pennsyvinn Member

State:
    PA
    Lenny might remember this.Back in the late 90's,there was a fish commish camped out at blackrock dam.If he told me once he told me 100 times,you catch any flatheads "KILL THEM".The first time I talked to him,I asked,are those the ones that grow like 75 lbs?I had a big ole smile on my face when he said yes. Since I was a regular at the dam, he even gave me a card & told me if I ever see anyone releasing flathead above the dam to call asap.There are still quite a few "cowboys" up here in chester county,who think they can wipeout the flathead pop,to save the smallies.I can tell you as a fact,that the 2 bald eagles that nest near vf pizza,have taken several dump truck loads of smallmouth,muskie & whatnot from down around where the perky dumps in.In our river system bald eagles are great & the flat head must die:sad2:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  10. How about the Cormorants:angry:, which have the Norristown/Bridgeport infested regularly, and in high numbers, the Blue Herons, White Egret, snakes, turtles, raccons, etc.

I have seen the most Sunnies and Bass in my stretch than I have in the past 4 or 5 years, doesn't look like it's getting worse to me.:confused2:

CPR FLATHEADS!:angry:

11. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Testify brother John Amen!:wink:free the flatty!!!