Flathead catfish night feeding?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by knmfish, Sep 19, 2006.

1. knmfish

knmfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Do flatheads go up stream or down stream at night to feed?When they leave the holes @ night do they go up stream or down stream when theres shallows on the up side and down side of the holes. Im fishing a hole and i dont no whether to fish the top flat or the bottom flat.

2. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Thats a good question. My experience comes from trotlining a small bayou near my house. After years of experimenting on locations I have found I do better on the upstream side of the deep holes especially after a rain raises and muddies the water. I think they like to move against the current to find prey, like a deer walks into the wind to detect smells. grizzly

3. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Good question, I have heard many opinions on this and they all seem to conclude that at night a flathead is on the roam and be ready to expect the unexpected, yeah it didn't help me either. I wish I knew more but I guess experience is your best resource.

4. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    The last three nights I have been out the sun has set around 7:05pm +/- a minute for each day... and right around 7:15pm the action would start. I caught three fish at the same time each day, various sizes but still neat.

I think once the sun sets, it triggers something in them and they start their hunting. They are an interesting fish that is for sure.

5. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    grizzly is right.. head up steam... I mainly fish the rivers in my local area and when i spotlight the shores i always see the fish running against the current.. but dont get me wrong both spots will produce cause below the bottom shallow there will be a hole somewhere ect, ect.... I hope this helps you out some... Now go get'em brother.....

6. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    By the way Kenny welcome to the BOC..... Your gonna love this place....

7. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I'm going to guess mainly upstream based on my experience fishing around dams. It seems as if the downstream side of the dam is much more productive. I think they hunt more upstream an run into the roadblock (the dam). If you've ever trout fished, ecspecially for natives, you should fish upstream, because that's the way the fish look. You will spook a native quick walking down stream.

8. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

this time of year you might notice flatties will move less. with water temps dropping in the north country our flatties dont move much. allot of bites just sit on the bait.

but as to your question. just after dark they normaly move upstream(just like all river fish do) , they orrient into the current and start moving. some swimm very fast and far in the search for food. often by mid evening the fish are no longer orriented with holes, instead are randomly moving with the main river channel. depending were you are located in a system, you might have good luck right and sunset or several hours latter. at dawn fish scramble to find comfortable sitting spots. many move down stream but some move up. again these are just my theories, based on carefull observations of fish behaviors( while on my line). look listen and observe. you will find your fish.

if you are in the southern states you probably are peaking for cat movements, if so they are on the feed bag now, and moving fast and far

9. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    I agree We allways fish they upstream side of the hole and do very well.

10. OHFishmanB

OHFishmanB New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    To try to answer your question, the flatheads tend to head to shallower water at night to find baitfish. At my local lake, I have a few great spots where the flathead will lay during the day in 15-20 ft of water and at night hit the shallow flat (3-5 ft) nearby where there are several downed trees. This is catfish heaven at night during the summer.

11. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Welcome To The Boc Brother. Seems Like The Flatties Are Always On The Move Around Here, I've Tried Various Spots And Have Actually Seen Them Swimming Along The Shore Lines, Which I Have Taken My Share Of Flatheads While Bank Fishing By Casting Along The Rivers Banks. They All Have To Feed Those Bellies Sooner Or Later.lmao Good Luck

12. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I like fishing the shallow bank opposite of the hole at night. There seems to be more baitfish lurking around right up against the shore and wherever the prey is the predator isn't far behind. You would be suprised how shallow they will roam at night even if the majority of the river is fairly deep.