Flathead catfish nicknames

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by fishallday927, Apr 10, 2007.

1. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois
    what are some of ur guys fav nicknames for flathead catfish ive heard a bunch just wanna know whut u guys call em for short

2. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    I sometimes call em bream busters:crazy: .Or just flatties.

3. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Jose
    What I call them is mostly unprintable on this or any family oriented web site. They are my problem fish # Uno. Luck

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I call them supper! lol.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Here in Eastern Pa where the flatheads are not native, people who stumble upon one will all them "big bullheads".

There was even a post on a fishing forum in PA where a guy caught like a 10lb flathead while crappie fishing and swore he caught the world record bullhead. He took it to get weighed at a local baitshop and the owner said, no you have flathead catfish.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Here we call them Shovelheads. Even today the term flathead is foreign to me. To me Flatheads are the people that raised Ayla in Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M Auel.

7. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Flatties, Shovels, shovelheads, Scooper, some old man i saw at the great miami river one time, saw me baitin up some big goldfish, and he says "Ahhh, your after them big scoopers eh?" i thought to my self, huh? then i was like im not sure, what is a scooper?, hes like wat?? you dont know what a scooper is? i replied no, and hes like hahaha, how about shovelhead? and i was like ohhh! I was so flustered about the situation i never got to ask him where the name came from. I would imagine from the flat-head depicting a scooping action??? beats me lol. =)

8. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    We call them flatties or just flatheads around here.

9. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    In southwest Georgia they are know as Appaloosa cats, by some/most.

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Depending on what part of the world you are from here is a list of some of the common names for the flathead. Yellow cat, shovelhead, mud cat, tabby cat, Morgan cat, appaloosa cat, appaluchian, johnnie cat, goujon, Opelousas cat, Op cat, bashaw, Russian cat, granny cat, pied cat, flatbelly and Mississippi cat. Around here we just call them flatheads.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    We call them Yellow Cats hear.

12. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    alot of people call them shovels or shovelheads around here.

13. jrh_67

jrh_67 New Member

State:
    texas
    When I grew up we always called them an OP. I had never heard the word flathead until i got on this site...lol

14. The_Mad_Catter

The_Mad_Catter New Member

State:
    Erie, Colorado
    They have just been introduced in to colorado impoundments over the last few years and fish are only around 5# at this point. Yellow cats and shovelheads are the fan favorites around these parts

15. MuddyWaterCats

MuddyWaterCats New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Around here just south of Tulsa, Ok We call em dinner ya know what I mean.