Flathead catfish near me?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by ken_hawk, May 12, 2007.

1. ken_hawk

ken_hawk New Member

State:
    Halstead, Kansas
    I live about 30 miles north of wichita, kansas near newton and i fish a small river in my little town, but i can't seem to find many flatheads at all. i catch a lot of decent sized channels and occasionaly someone will catch a 25+ pound flathead, but i can never find them. i know el dorado lake, which is about 45-50 miles east of me, has some good catfishing (at least it did ten years ago when i was eight, which was the last time i went catfishing there), is there anyone on the forum that might be able to direct me to a good place near me? maybe marion lake or marion reservoir? thanks.

2. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    post this at the kansas page, im sure they are locals that can help you.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Go to your favorite hole in the river just before dark. Try to get all set up while you still have visibility. Use live perch for bait. No lights. No noise. Don't even walk around much as they can feel the vibrations. Throw your line out about 10' from the bank. Set down. Be real quite again. After about two hours, you should see a flathead or two. Don't try to fish for the big flatheads like you would for small channels. May work, but you'd probably be wasting a lot of your life. If you can find a log jam in the river, or logs washed up around bridge pilings, and have reasonably depth of water, fish there.

4. drifter106

drifter106 Member

State:
    kansas
    Well if you ventor down to Fall River or better yet Toronto after they shut the gates you have a pretty good chance of hooking a flathead. Will have some nice size channels too. I prefer Toronto myself for flatheads. I am talking about fishing in the basin...many people wade out and fish on the counterdam (concrete slap that drops off into the basin itself. Largest I have caught doing that is 42 lbs.

good luck,

drifter

5. gbennett21

gbennett21 New Member

State:
    kansas
    hay were is that were thay catch good channel up north there sure would like to know, what to use please tired of the stock size fish i never had a fish that was bigger than 3lbs. in help would be thankful. please help a young fisherman learn some sweet places to fish and what to use. even rivers just want a good pic to show off to the guys at work. who dont help me out and show off pics all day at work.

6. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Marion is real good catch fish lake it is north of peabody and east mcphearson. I usually use dip baits or cut shad. Up in french creek cove is were i do my best. Hope this helps Shawn