Flathead catfish metabolism

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by hear_kitty, Jul 24, 2006.

1. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Any body now how often big flats feed and how long dose it take for them to diegest a 6-7 in meal. Is this something that they would eat every night

2. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    I've never found any really good data on that, but my best guess is they probably feed every 3-4 days. I'm sure the grab the occasional fish while sitting in they're hiding place, but they don't seem to go out and actively search for food every day. I would suspect it would take a couple days to digest a meal.

3. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Thanks for the input haven't seen any info on this

4. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    I used to have several pet catfish..2 blues and a channel..I would put in about 20 minnows a week, and they would just eat them as they got hungry, and when I noticed they were all gone, I'd go get some more. Now I wish I had paid more attention to their feeding patterens, even though they were verry small guys, about 10" was the biggest, perhaps I could have learned something. Also, I tend to believe that catfish are real 'oppertunity eaters' meaning if they see a dead shad, or peice of cut skipjack floating by...they're prabily gonna eat it, weather its 'dinner time' or not. Otherwise in their eyes, the food just goes to waste..my thoughts anyway

5. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I will have to go with M.Magis every 3-4 days. Some people says that they only feed during fronts. Its funny cause both 30lb. flatheads I caught was'nt during a front. And a 30lb. cat in our creek sized river is a monster.

6. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    How often a big flattie feeds probably depends on how big his last meal was. A 6-7" chub or shad isn't much of a meal for a 40 pound flathead. Probably isn't much of a meal for even a 15 pound flathead. I've seen 4 pound largemouth with fish that big sticking out of their throats. A big flathead might take a 7" shad every night for a whole week. But, 3-4 days to digest something that size seems reasonable (I haven't seen any good data either). I think Kyle if right on too: Cats, like many fish, are opportunistic. If an easy meal presents itself, I think a catfish will take it whether its full or not.

7. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have had 1-2lb flats take a 7-9 in bullhead. To a big flathead thats nothin. They are cold blooded so the water temp plays a big part in how fast they metabolize. Warmer the water faster they metabolized but once the water gets in the mid to high 80s they get pretty sluggish. Also in mid to smaller waters when the water temps are up and the water levels low during the summer time, baitfish and all the other fish get more tightly packed around riffles and holes so getting a easy meal isn't much work for Mr Flathead. I dont think there is really a correct anwser to this question since there are so many variables like(water temp, how big was their last meal, availability of food). This is often something my buddies and I talk about at night on the river.

8. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    This is what I'm looking for different opinions and collating data the more data the better pic i get of the hole picture and that leads to an answer!!!!