Flathead Catfish Massacre

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Blacky, May 8, 2006.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Was fishing below Fairmount Dam in Philly and saw a conservation officer, biologist, and waterworks workers cleaning out the fish ladder. Lying on the ground was 5 flatheads lying on the ground. The smallest was 28lbs and the biggest at around 41lbs (I was able to converse with the biologist). The guys took the fish down by the bank and slip thier bellies and threw them back. The largest flat was still swimming so I was able to go downstream and snag it with my lure (It still fought a little). Took some pics. Man what a shame!!! I was seriuosly sad. If the C.O. wasn't there, I would have maybe tried to do something but his GLOCK scared me off. Just wanted to let you know about the massacre out here in Eastern PA. It gets worst, the biologist said they clean the ladder every 15 days and everytime they clean it, they average taking out 200lbs of flatheads. will try to post pics

2. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    why are they doing this? can the fish be donated to some homeless charity? what a waste.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I uderstand what they are wanting to do but they will never get rid of the Flathead. It is a total waste of good fish and a big waste of dnr funds to try.
    This new law was put in place to make room for other Non-Native fish to be stocked in streams "I Think" and the flatheads like to dine on what they are stocking(Trout).

4. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    What is a fish ladder?
    You said you snagged one of the fish, did you keep it? Surely they wouldn't balk at keeping and eating these fish???

Eric

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I posted this in the General Discussion area... it sort of pertains to what your discussing. You can go there and follow the link.

Ooooppps - well what do you know

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just ran across this article.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200605...westernstreams

Have no idea how to make this a link instead of an address. .lol Well, miracles never cease... it made itself a link.

6. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    that sucks I think we should slit there bellys and throw them back

7. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Thats a shame. I'm sure they have reasons for doing this. It seems like they could come up with something better than cutting them and throwing them back in. I think in my state you would prolly go to jail for that. They need to settup a thing where people could come and get the flatheads when they clean the ladder out. Maybe put something on their website as free catfish every 2 weeks.

8. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    This is truly a shame if they did this around western PA i think i would go nuts.

9. liquidblue

liquidblue New Member

State:
    louisiana
    It seems like word of mouth would get around fast enough if the biologist let people keep them.

And what good is a fish ladder if they kill the fish in the fish ladder?

10. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    glade that isent happening in my state thay would be a short a rew bioligest there would be he-- to pay.i thank it should be just like if you hit a deer the dnr will give the meat to shelters, that is where all the poched game goes to around my state.that is just as bad as shoting a deer or cathing a fish and throwing it on the bank or living it lay on the ground just becuse it isent what you wanted.

11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Yea, TROUT = MONEY They think . Here in INDIANA I paid $11 for a stamp I will use by accident. Some of the waters Ilike to fish contain this other NON NATIVE fish called trout. I would say that I spend more money for my fishing than MOST troutheads do. The ones i know don't own a boat. They brag about a 200 dollar fly rod , then turn up there nose at my 200 dollar catfish setup. I even had one sugget that I stock trout in my strip pits. I told him to go ahead because the big cats and big ba$$ would enjoy them. justt my thoughts on trout. catfishing forever its cheaper and native to these waters. catch ya later

12. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey guys, what is a fish ladder? I'm from Texas and have never heard of a fish ladder.
    Not sure I agree with what they are doing. Seems like they would use the fish to feed the shelters.

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    A fish ladder allows/helps fish like stripers and shad who need to go far up river and spawn. The flatheads concentrate in and along the fish ladder because of all the prey in and around the fish ladder. There, they can find a buffet of shad, herring, suckers, trout, sunfish, and bass. That's what the PA Game and Fish Commission is fearing. They have spent too much time and money on these fish ladders to allow the flatheads to do this. I saw the stomach contents of these fish, mostly suckers, shad, herring, and small striped bass.

The reason why no body will eat these fish is becuase the river is polluted. There is PCB and mercury found in the tissue of fish here. They are destroying my flathead fishery!!!!! SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!

14. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    It's a shame that the fish commision would do something as discusting as this. But, you can't blame the WCO's they're just carrying out commision policy. Something needs to be done to address this kind of action though.

15. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    Why couldn't they move the fish to a local park pond in surrounding cities. It would provide a great opportunity for city kids to catch something worth talking about, help create furure fisherman who will spend more dollars, and solve the solution of the fish doing what comes natural.

I read an article last week where a state is doing just that. They are put and take fisheries that are using big catfish to help draw more people in.
    Since the river there is polluted sings would have to be posted but with a little local fund raiser they could easily pay for the signs.

The local fisherman need to start a campaign to force the DNR to change their policy. Maybe even force them to relocate the fish. Where are the PETA fanatics when you need them LOL.

16. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    If the river is so polluted, then why are they worried about catching the trout and the stripers that swim in the same waters. Doesn't make sense to me.

17. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    I would shoot the DNR of your state an email or a letter detailing what you witnessed. See what kind of response they give you.

Nationwide the catfish is the second most popular gamefish, second only to largemouth bass. The rationalization that trout generate more revenue just doesn't make sense to me.

18. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    hey, post up an e-mail address for your local fish biologist or who ever is in charge of things like this. I'll send an e-mail and let them know what I think. I'm sure others will to.

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lets get a petition going & send to them w/ the names of us who want to vent. Perhaps even print this thread out & mail it to them. Also Let's try to spend as little $ as possible in PA as far as Fishing goes, sort of trying to hurt them where it hurts.