Flathead Catfish Make Newspaper In East N.C. But Negatively

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Catfishin_Farm_Boy, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

Catfishin_Farm_Boy New Member

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    This was brought to my attention today.... NC seems to be makin a mark of flatheads at a increasing pace.. Here is the article ... and a picture of how it appear'd in the paper...

June 25, 2009 - 4:35 PM

AMANDA HICKEY

Biologists with the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission are reminding the public that introducing fish to public waters where they are not native can have irreparable ecological consequences.
    Two flathead catfish were found in the river, said Bob Barwick, a district fisheries biologist.

"It's a concern because we know that flathead catfish eat other species of fish that have been enjoyed by anglers. ... There might be a loss of some other recreationally important fisheries in those areas," Barwick said.

Biologists have been sampling the White Oak River since 2001. April was the first time they have found flatheads in the river, which flows along the Jones, Onslow and Carteret county lines in southeastern North Carolina.

Flatheads, which are native to the Mississippi River basin, have been introduced into rivers in the eastern part of the state, becoming well established and abundant within 10 years of being introduced into the Cape Fear, Tar and Neuse rivers, as well as Sutton Lake in New Hanover County, according to information from the WRC.

Since 2006, WRC biologists have been conducting ongoing surveys in the Tar River to document changes in the catfish community as flatheads become established in the system.

In the 2006 survey, flatheads accounted for 14 percent of the catfish population in the Tar River, but in the most recent survey, conducted in 2008, they comprised 56 percent of the total catfish numbers.

In addition to white catfish, flathead catfish are known to eat other popular game fishes, such as largemouth bass, sunfish, crappie, perch and shad, and can have undesirable impacts on these populations.
    Largemouth bass, sunfish, crappie and perch are native to the river, Barwick said.

How the two flathead catfish arrived in the White Oak River is a guessing game.

"We suspect that a well-intentioned fishing person probably released it into the river," Barwick said.

The Wildlife Resources Commission passed a regulation in 2005 that required anyone interested in stocking public, inland water to obtain a stocking permit. The requirement protects native and established aquatic species from the potentially damaging effects of unauthorized stockings by allowing the Commission to assess the impacts of a proposed stocking on a case-by-case basis.

Contact Amanda Hickey at 910-219-8461 or ahickey@freedomenc.com

Attached Files:

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Popular game fish??? a shad????:smile2:

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey thats GREAT!!! hopefully they got a chance to spawn.:wink:

4. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    LOL..

If One or Both Was Female They Probably Spawn'd Already Depending Apon How Long They Been In The River...

Its A Really Small Short River... Bass Fishin Sucks In It... Nothing Else That Great In It To Fish For So I Think It Would Add Value To The River

Plus The White Oak, Tar, Neuse, Cape Fear Are All Coastal Rivers... Its Funny How They Dont Say Anything About The Stripers , Red Drum, Speckled Trout, Flounder That Run Up The Rivers And Eat Up Purdy Much Everything Too...

Plus Manhadden, Mullet, Shrimp, Shad Run Up The Rivers So That Increases The Bait Available... So Seems Like There'd Be Plenty To Eat...

5. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

State:
    Hubert, NC
    I think it's funny that they seemed suprised to find 2 flat heads in the white oak. A few years ago there was a Marine that fished many a weekend with a boat he rented from base running limb lines and a couple trot lines. He'd get 10-20 flats in a week end. Just stayed out there fri through sun sleeping in his truck or on the boat. I think half the time they would be better off asking the local fishermen instead of shocking. :confused2:

6. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    Never tried to fish for flatties there before.. Just channel catfish'd a few times down in the croatan part where I have done some hunting before..

7. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    they shouldnt condemn the flathead.........just teach the other spieces to swim faster!:smile2::wink:

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd guess those good old boys never thought the bass, crappie, bluegill and whatever else they call gamefish will eat small flatheads. Never want to look at the other side of the coin. tsk, tsk, tsk.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Biologists and their "sampling" always humor me. :smile2:

To this they day thye have never found a flathead catfish in Lake Wyle, therefor they do not exist in the lake in their mind. Lets keep it that way. :wink:

10. carelessthunder

carelessthunder New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Maybe we should call up the famous biologist on river monsters he will tell us whats in there and whats going on. You would think they would be more worried testing contamination amounts in the water.

Then you have sutton lake I think FLATFLATTIE said the estimated 600 flatheads in the whole lake. I think thats a little low. If so I have caught about 5% of them myself in the last couple months then if divided in the lakes evenly I have caught almost a third of them from one lake. You would think with the amount of people that fish there you would start catching them with sores all over their mouth from being hooked. SO leave your shockers at home and let survival of the fittess take over.

11. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    if these people are biologist, well i guess i a dam rocket scientist!!!!! thats our tax dollars at work 4 ya!!! what the !!!! we goin eco-green on the fishin too!!!!!!!!:angry:

12. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    good one (lmao)

13. Apexi

Apexi New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nice! :smile2:

14. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    What was said very nice.

15. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    :eek:oooh: shad a gamefish whaaaaaattttttt they are good bait fish:crazy: and now the bass are getting to slow to swim fast :smile2::smile2:---:angry::angry: bad ole flatties :wink::wink::wink::wink: eating up

16. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    lol.......i know some guys that made sure a big eating machine lived and was put back into the river to eat some more.........lol.........congrats mako and tomkat!

17. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    Yeah some shad species are big time game fish - hickory shad and American (white) shad. These are fish that live in the ocean and run up stream to spawn in freshwater.

Flatheads are like so many other things that aren't native - they can create problems/outcompete native species. Look what white perch are doing to the white bass in lots of lakes.

18. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    I hit submit too soon.

I'm not slamming flatheads just explaining where those folks were coming from.

19. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    i hope they learn to swim faster............lol........the flatties are getting bigger..........ask mako!

20. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    :smile2::smile2::smile2: As long as I catch them they are released to live and fight another day :smile2::smile2::smile2: