Flathead catfish lovers please read

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by mudkat, Nov 1, 2006.

1. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i know who ever reads this likes flathead fishing but can anybody tell me why were so attrackted to catching these bulls???????

2. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    cuz there big ,meen and nasty, o ya best tasting cat around

3. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    my main reason besides just the love of the fish, it isnt near as commerciallized as bass fishin. You go into wally world fishin section and get bombarded by all the different lures, different size, color, etc. all supposedly essential to catchin bass. dont need all that crap for catfish! a hook, a weight, n a live gill n im fishin!

4. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    They get big and are more elusive than other cats normally only taking live bait.

5. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Because It take skillzs To land the bad boys. There like king of the freshwater At least here in the Midwest.

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have to agree with Shelby. Flatheads over 20 pounds are wise and elusive. Not easily duped by novice fishermen. It takes skill to and knowledge to catch any numbers of them. Anyone can catch one on luck, but to catch them regular you have to be pretty good. They fight harder than anything else in freshwater cept maybe sturgeon and gator gar. But I haven't caught either of those two. Plus you ain't gonna catch a 40 pound bass lol.

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    'Cause they're big 'n' gnarly. Just wish I could catch more of 'em. I am one of those novices who can't catch them with regularity. That's how I found BOC trying to catch more big fat flatties. Can't wait 'till spring to unleash my arsenal!

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    because they are the APEX PREDATOR of the rivers. Sort of like the great white shark. They have no enemies except us fisherman.

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    cause i love them , no i mean it i love flatheads infact if it werent against the law id marry one :lol:
    i do like them big fat bellied pigs flatheads i mean , to me they are the prettiest of all catfish and they are quite elusive . i dont believe in reincarnation but if i did id want to be a big ol'flatty laying on the bottom waitin on that one chance to chomp down on a 10 pound bass or twenty pound blue , now that would be heaven

10. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Them big Flats can be very tricky at times and can take your bait and you may never even know it!!

:smile:

11. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree with all of U. Been targeting flatheads for 14 years now,Sometimes it's slow fishin,but when u hook up it's all worth it.:cool2: and I get better at finding them every year.

12. Bullhead61

Bullhead61 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use big open face reels. No clickers for me. When I see there's a fish there, I pick up the pole after opening the bail. Then I give the fish a bunch of slack line and close the bail. Waiting for the line to tighten, letting me know that the flat's still there is some of the most intense and exciting times that there are. Then there's the hook set. WOW!!! Nothin' better.

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i too agree with most of you in trhat they are a challenge and big. i got started on them because they are by far the biggest fish around my area. most folks dont even know there are cats that big around here.

remember to release the big ones to spawn next year for you!!!

tight lines brothers

14. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I like catfish in general because they are not the "in" thing all the yuppies are fishing for. I also love the places that the cats live - rivers through the woods...

And flatheads are like the catfish of all catfish - they are the top level predator, yo have to spend the time out at night to catch them regularly, thye pretty much require the use of live bait, and they get BIG. The things that make them difficult make them special.

15. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    They get big, they are elusive, finicky about what they eat, and they taste great. They are the top predator around here and not everybody knows how to catch them. No two have the same coloration and patterns. Every one I catch, I take time to admire their beauty, and thank my lucky stars for catching the greatest fish in the water. grizzly

16. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    shovelheads are all i usually fish for but i'll take a big blue anyday

17. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You go into wallyworld and compared to the bass fishermen there are just a few items for sale for cats,Bass has a whole arsenal of things.I would just love to hang into one of those bigguns!:big_smile:

18. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Vern

19. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    All catfish are great but Flatheads are special. When you manage to coax a big one out of his lair and have the privlidge to look at him up close and personal it will leave you feeling awed. And when you watch him swim away after you release him, it will leave you with a smile on your face and a good feeling in your soul.

20. whisker bend

whisker bend New Member

State:
    georgia
    i think there is a great personal reward to catching a fish that eats bigger fish than most people have ever caught. for me its all about the pictures of these fish. when people see the size of them they just cant believe it.