Flathead catfish Location in a rain

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Redd, May 6, 2006.

1. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I've been channel catfishin' a long time now, and am wanting to switch over to bigger game, like flatheads. I always fish a small local river and I understand that they usually hang around the deepest darkest snags, in the daytime, and on shallow flats at night. But what I don't know nothing about, is where they're at in times like big rains, which is usually when I do a lot of my fishin' because work gets canceled. But just any hints or tricks of the trade would help a lot. Thank ya much.

-Red

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :big_smile: CAN'T REALLY HELP YOU AS TO WHERE THERE AT DURING RAIN TIMES-- HOWEVER I DO WANT TO WELCOME TO THE BOC CLUB. I'M SURE SOME OF THE FLAT HEAD FISHERMAN/WOMEN WILL BE GETTING WITH YOU TO INFORM YOU ON WHAT YOUR WANTINGTO NOW. AGAINWELCOME!!

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yeah go to the mouth of some of the feeder creeks that open up into the river.Those cats will sit there eat on anything comming out of those babies,heck its a free meal for them they dont have to work for it,they just sit there and let the food come to them.Give that a try i think you will find what your lookin for.

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC...I would have to agree with James, mouths of feeder creeks, during high or regular water levels, are excellent flathead haunts. They will sit right on the ledge of the dropoff and just wait for the current to push some food over into the hole. Good luck, hopefully you can get some more tips from others on the board.

5. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    all good info, i have cought them up creek to. thay will get up there for food and slower water.and if you fish around a dam fish next to it along the sides and if you have any wing dams on your river fish on the curent brake side.good luck to all:0a23:

6. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Welcome to the boc. I would have to agree with the creek info but I have also caught them in heavy rain by big structure like bridge pillars if there are any on the river you fish. It seems that the fish will hang out right by the brake in the water were it is not as rough. So if you follow the creek mouth and find any big structure then you should find the catfish.

7. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    Ihave to agree the rest.the mouth of a feeder creek.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Another place to find them during high water is tight to the bank. They will sit in 1 to 3 feet of water even in daytime if its muddy and hides them,usually near the same snags they inhabit during normal flow, just to the rear of it and close to the bank. The snag will still give some cover and deflect some current if its large enough.

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    During the rain, I would fish the down current side of the creek mouths where it empties into the river, preferably where there is a current break or slack water. After the water starts to rise move father into the shallows and up the creeks around heavy structure.

10. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Thanks for the tips. I'll sure give 'em a shot

-Red

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if your river doesnt have any feeder creeks find a place where the river makes a dog leg at the head of a long hole.this will make an eddy where the water makes a circle and turns bach up river.fish the brake where the fast currant and eddy or slow water meets.if river is up realy big and muddy use fresh cut bait or worms.

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    PS dont try this from a small boat when your river is on flood.small rivers can get really nasty in a hurry.be safe and good fishing.

13. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    I have found any where that there is a good flow of runoff coming into the river because it attracts the bait fish to the fresh water coming in.

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    anything that breaks the current- log piles, rocks, pilings, as well as crrek mouths, flatheads will sit there and ambush baitfish.