Flathead catfish line sensitive? HELP!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by GETHOOKED, May 11, 2007.

1. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Ok, so I thought I understood flatheads. I run 4 outfits with XH rods, Penn power reels, circle hooks, and all. But I am incountering a frustration problem. On two of my outfits on this year and last I have been 25 lb test berkley big game. One my favorite outfits I have 80 power pro braid. I would figure that the braid is the best option for big flats, but over the last three trips ALL my bites and fish (two over 40 and one @ 28 !!! :) have all come on the mono 25 lb test!! This is frustrating because I have lost as many as I have landed due to line breaking on the big runs! Why is it that I cant get a bite on braid? It sounds stupid to think flats are "line sensitive", but what other explanations are there? I changed rod postions, spots, and keep freash bait on all. But it is always the two poles with mono that gets the attention!!! I just dont feel confident using 25 lb mono catching and LOSING these size of flats! Please help me get this problem solved! Should I just keep using my braid and throw on a 50-80 lb flourocarbon leader on? HELP!! I am on fish, but seems to be "unprepared!"

searching for answers and help------GET HOOKED

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Most braids require a shock leader to begin with.
    I use a leader on all of my rigs. I like to use a leader that is at least 10lbs heavier than my main line. I tried the powerpro thing for a year and hated it, so I went back to 40lb Berkly Big Game with 50lb and 80lb leaders, and never looked back.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It may just be that the flats are getting to the bait on the mono first. You catch them on trotlines and limblines when the main drop is darn near a quarter inch. They are not turned off by the diameter of the line then, and I doubt they are now. I'd look for another reason other than the type of line your using.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Just calm down a tad lol. I bet if all your reels were spooled with power pro you would have caught the same fish in the same spots. I had one rod last year that caught 80% of my fish over 20 lbs. All had the same line different baits though. I sure aint getting rid of the underperformers. That'd be like Joe Gibbs gettin rid of Tony Stewart lol. Or Junior gettin rid of teresa.... oh wait, that might have happened.

5. Bullhead61

Bullhead61 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use 30# Fireline, which is similiar in texture and diameter to your power pro line and I caught 16 flats in less than a month last fall. There's guys around here that run setlines with alot heavier line than your using and they do just fine. I would try power pro on all your rods and I bet things will work out for you.:wink:

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Maybe the Flats can see the 80lb power pro, and rather hit the 25lb test, All I use is 20 lb test and it works for me.

7. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I don't think the diameter of your line is the problem either, it might just be dumb luck really. Besides, if you play your drag right and your not in an area with alot of rocks and snags, 25lb big game can easily land big fish, I landed my PB on 20 lb Big Game. All last year I had a rod that the fish would not touch, same hook, same leader, same line and all; but I would never get a run on it, while I caught about 7 big flatties on the rod right next to it. I do like to use a leader when I'm using braid, I usually run one about 18" of 50lb co-polymer when I have 40lb braid mainline. If you live near Mesa, Sportsmen's Warehouse has an awesome leader material, P-line, its a thinner co-polymer with excellent abrasion resistance and knot strength. Haven't broken any since.

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Matthew - If your having Flatties break off the 25# test mono then maybe upgrade to 30# or 40#. As far as the braid I can't help you as I'm a mono guy.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post. Up grade your line test. Stay with Berkley Big Game.:lol:

10. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    You just have a "lucky" rod:smile2: . It's happened more times than I care to remember where one rod will out fish the other 2 10 to 1...........don't matter if you move it to where the other non-productive were, it'll still catch fish. Heck, I've got a Penn reel that regularly out fishes my Okuma, same bait, same rod(Tiger) same line (80# powerpro)............it just gets more bites, ain't no explaining it!! Feel blessed your getting bite enough to notice a difference.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    ill second you on that quote, Mickey. 40# B.G.

12. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Sounds like u may need to adjust the drag IF u r not losing the fish in snags.

:crazy:

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i fish 2 rods on my lak both with 65 powerpro and 1 rod catches 90% of the fish.it just happends some times.

14. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    See out here i am having the exact opposite problem. I have 2 rods with 65lbs power pro braid and 1 with 25 lbs. mono and i cant get a hit on the mono, but i am tearing them up on the braid. i guess its just the area you are fishing. i recently changed my wifes rod to 50 lbs power pro and her luck has drastically improved. i cant get a hit on the mono but the power pro constanly gets attention.

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I think that your rods and reels are the culpret in this case. For one XH rods are by nature designed for heavier line (not enough give in them for lighter lines). It is like tieing and kite string to a broom stick. You need to use a heavier line on an XH rod.
    As for the reels, those are some brutes, and are also designed for heavier lines.
    If you are gonna use 25lb mono, you need to back your rod action down to a MH and all will be fine.

16. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My guess is that the lack of stretch in the braid is what's killing you. Are you getting bites on the rods with the braid?

I'm thinking two things: one, with circle hooks the fish has to build tension slowly and grafually to move the hook into position and set it into his jaw. If it comes tight all of a sudden, there's a good chance tht it will just jerk the bait and hook right outr of their mouth (like if you ttry to "set the hook" with a circle hook). If that's the problem, then you might want to go back to a conventional hook on the braid rods and see if it helps.

The other thing that ioccured to me is that maye with the lack of stretch, they just dont like the way it feels when they pick oup the bait. Like maybe it kind of jerks back?

17. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I thought of something else-

A couple of years ago I decided to experiment with dacron leaders. Since they are so soft, I though maybe the flatheads would like them better. After all, we all know folks catch a bunch of flatheads on limb lines and trot lines, so they obviously are not line shy, right?

I only fished the dacron leader one night. That night my buddy caught 5 flatheads up to 50 pounds (with his usual 40 pound clear mono leader) and I got NOTHING. I know 1 night doesn't really prove anything, but I went back to mono leaders and have never looked back.

I still think it's the stretch issue, though. Think about it. XH rods, no stretch line. There's NO give there.

18. frymire

frymire New Member

State:
    texas
    i can tell u for darn sure, it isn't the line... i catch blues on jug lines all day long,, power pro line is great , just like big game mono.. my jug lines have 200 lb test line. it is big in diameter..

i drift alot and can say that on some days ,one rod gets hot, can't explain it..
    one day , i had 4 rods out rig the same way, drifting, one rod caught alot more fish than the others.. one rod never went down, the next day it caught most of the blues... who the heck knows....

19. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I thought everybody had a lucky rod! I even have a bait rod that is better than its twin. I have often thought that this phenomenon is caused by smell. When you deer hunt you do everything you can to remove the human scent. If I am not mistaken catfish have a highly developed olefactory system (sense of smell). In muddy water I have real difficulty believing a fish can see white line but not red line and can differentiate between 25 lb mono and 65 lb braid. (Isn't that braid thinner like 17 mono to 65 power pro?)

However, how many have checked their outboard, then baited up? Think a fish can't smell the difference? Of course some guys swear by WD-40 too.
    Think of the smells that you come in contact with or your line comes in contact with before it gets to the bottom of the river.

Solution- Cut off 3-5 feet of line, re rig and test out the theory.

Good luck,

Shawn

20. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if you're getting the big ones on the mono anyway, i wouldn't worry too much about it. i use the power pro and also the stren super braid, but with a shock leader. haven't noticed any difference yet. the only thing i have seen with the shock leader is it seems to help get a hookset with the little stretch it has. when i used only the braid, it might have been the line, might have been me, but i missed a few fish.