flathead catfish limits in ohio

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Sep 24, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In Ohio you are allowed to keep one flathead per day over 35inches.

I persoannly think that is to many, I think one flathead per year over 35inches would be much better.

And I think it should work like the deer checking stations, you must have the fished checked in and documented.

I belive you are only allwowed to harvest one buck per year in ohio..

I believe our mature flatheads deserve as much respect as our trophy bucks.

I know again it would be hard to inforce, but maybe it would make people think twice about havesting 25 -30 or more flatheads per year over 35 inches.

I could live without the fish check stations, but I think one per day over 35 inches is way to many.

I would also like to see limits set on channel catfish, as of now we have a 6 fish limit on lakes under 700 acres..I would like to see that extended to all large lakes, and all rivers and spillways.

I have seen people draging ropes of big channels cats from spillways in the spring that had to hold upward of 60 fish.

We also have a stocking program on channel catfish, and many times I have seen people remove buckets fulls of 8-10 inch channel cats..For gods sake let them grow up a little, or you might as well buy them from the hatchery.

2. tunacat

tunacat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Personally I think ZERO flatheads should be harvested or even removed from their habitat (CPR); if you need food then there are plenty of channels or blues and not the trophy fish.

There is only one scenario that would even make me think for a moment about removing a flathead and that is if I thought it was the state record (over 76#) and not even then if I thought the fish would die. I would SLOWLY troll to the bank call the DNR and see if they would come to me. I see these pics of large flatheads taken at bait shops and in peoples driveways............what's the chances of these fish surviving? I know people are going to say catfish can be resilient and will live for a long time out of water. Just because they swim away when you put them back into the water does not ensure a complete recovery.

Happy hunting brothers.........CPR for life

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    It could be worse, in PA you can keep 50 and out here where they are invasive, you shouldn't even put them back in the water.

Be glad you state has the respect for the flathead catfish and have limits.:cool2:

4. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    No, I live with too many laws and regulations on everything I do as it is. I think once you catch a fish by legal means, that fish is yours to do with as you see fit. As long as what you do with it is legal. I would however totally support a raise of 5 or even 10 bucks on my licence. "IF" the DNR would agree to use that raise to start a restocking program of Shovlehead, Blues and Channels like the state of W.Va and some other states have. 5 -6 years ago the state of W.Va did a survey of all the pools of the Ohio river that borders there state, It was with electrical shock. They got like 650(+ or - I will have to find the report for the exact numbers) Shovlehead and only 1 yes 1 (one) Blue. But in a couple weeks ago there was a lady in caught a state record Blue here in the Gallipolis Pool. point is, restocking does work

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i was working for ODNR when the law was passed and i thought it was a joke. Theres isnt enough law enforcement to enforce it and on top of that its open season on all smaller flathead. So a person can take 50 flathead out of the river and only have one over 35 inches.... great rule:roll_eyes:

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    then those legal means nedd to be changed, more laws that will insure our trophy fishery are better.

7. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    I believe that this issue may effect tournament fishing....there for I would say he!! NO...:cool2:

8. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I hear so much about releasing trophy fish and not keeping any flatheads at all. Why does this always come up? There is no way an angler can say that he would release every flathead. What happens if they are gut hooked. Studies have show and proven that most flatheads found dead in the river have died because of hooks being left in them. Today's hooks are not going to rust away like the hooks made years ago. The metal is more durable.

Also, if it takes you a lifetime to catch that 60# fish, how much longer is it going to live? Another 60 years for the next guy?

Don't get me wrong for playing devil's advocate. I release all healthy flatheads too. But if one is hooked too bad, it hits the frying pan.

9. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    I agree that is a perfect idea. speaking of deer check in bow season starts saturday so keep them bows hot............RAT

10. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I do not like fish...any fish. But, if I were a fish eater, and I don't care how good they may taste, I wouldn't ever keep a Flat. There is just something about a Flat that I can't explain. I have much respect and admiration for them.

I guess the fact that you can't just go anywhere and get catch them, the way they are built, the fight that they have, and just basically the way that they look. Being that I don't live near enough to an Ocean, the Flat is the coolest fish that I know of. I'm sure others may ramk up there with them, but those fish are not in my waters. I would have no problem with any kind of a limit, as long as it made sense. I just have trouble understanding how a #50er could taste better than a #5er.

11. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I totally agree...i truely lakes like salt fork are being over fished to the point that many wont be left when its all said and done! Its time for someone to take action.

12. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    in florida you have to buy a fishing license now. you buy your license then they have snook tags you have to buy to fish for snook!! they also have stricked limits on them but you can't even possess one without a tag!! works for them why can't it work for our big flats??

13. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    All that would do is put more money in the states hands and do nothing that we would hope. They hardly pay attention when things are not done by rules/laws as is. It would just give them another way to make money, yet still ignore their duties. Win-win for them...lose-lose for us.

14. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    think they should have a slot limit on them. i cpr all my flattie though