flathead catfish kills blue Catfish??

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, May 10, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i heard stories of flatheads killing blues , bigger than them for entering there teritory, can anybody prove this, at cabalas the blues wont come near the flatheads, and the blues are bigger

2. Catfish KID

Catfish KID New Member

State:
    godfrey,illinois
    good question, id like to know myself

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    they say the flathead is the top over blues, but blues are just fater no mussel

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't believe catfish have Al Capone tendencies. A big flathead will eat a small blue, and may well run a large one off if it gets close to its nest during the spawn. By the same token, the same can be said about blues and channels. I think what we have in just a nature thing, you know, dog eat dog, and the biggest dog wins. LOL

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i heard this from a guid, also in virgina the flats are killing the blues

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Has this been under study in Virginia or witnessed? Im not trying to be smart @$$, just wondering...I heard that flatheads like most other fish will become very aggressive during the time that they are guarding the nest...

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    this is all hear say i cant back it up with anything but a flat looks meaner

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I do know that there was an article published in the latest catfish mag that talked about how flatheads can eat big prey because of the size of their mouth. They say that a flathead that weighs 50lbs can consume a prey item of 30 inches...I cant quote the article word for word. Im sure Im not the only one here that read it...Anyhow, that being said, its not hard to believe that a flathead can do some damage to bigger fish with that sort of ability for eating...now the bigger blues (30lbs and up) I dont see a flathead having the need to "fight" a fish that big (in nature)...maybe in a tank where both are in each other's space with no room for territory...thats another story.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    they get along at cabalas, the blues wont swim into the flats part but the flats dont move they just lay there wile the blues seem agitated swiming like there in prison,but they wont get near them flats

10. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Get flatts and blues every year with bite marks on em. Got a pic in my albums here of a 54lb flat with a hell of a big bite mark on him. I dont think they go all jaws like, but they dont like being close to one another kinda like lions and tigers. I do know Flatts dont have alot of bite force, Blues thats another story a 50lb blue can break a mans hand if ya get it in his mouth wrong. Blues eat big baits to crunch em up and swallow. Hate to say it but the blues a meaner fish when it comes to bite force wile a flat can eat fish 1/3 its own size. We got a pic here in the local barber shop 24lb buff fish in a 60lb flats mouth buff fish was hangen 1/3 out. Guy was long linen with cottenseed cake for rough fish when he got the flatt.

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    like i say, this is what the rock river guide said not me, but flats are agssive, blues are more social, but they have a stronger bite down, a flats power i in opining, but read the full cat matt rock river vidio, u got to get the full version he said a 30pound flat killed a 60 blue

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well, I'll tell you what. You come on down here to Oklahoma or one of the states it is legal in and noodle a flathead and a blue cat. Its dollars to dough nuts that if you latch onto the same size flathead as you do a blue, that blue cat will tear you up where the flat head will just scrape skin. Nope, I'd much rather noodle a flathead any day. LOL

13. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    We should stage a "Battle Of The Cats" tournament. We can get blues and flatties from all over the country.

ARE YOU READY? ARE YOU READY? LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLLLLLLLLLLLLEEE!!!!!! Ladies and Gentlemen, in the blue corner we have Shooter. Shooter is a 54 lb blue cat that hails from the mighty Cumberland River in the great state of Tennessee. In the red corner we have Stiker. Striker is a lean mean 56 pound flathead swimming to us from the mighty Arkansas River. This matchup should prove to be a true battle of the titans. :big_smile: Who would win?

14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I think a big enough one of either species would eat a small enough one of the other species.I don,t think the blues in Cabelas are afraid of the flats,they just like different habitat.No matter where you go you,re gonna generally find the flats sticking closer to cover and the bottom.The blues are gonna roam and suspend more.There will be exceptions,I,m just talking generally.As far as meaness goes,they both can be territorial at times.It,s like getting in the ring with Tyson or Foreman-it don,t matter,either ones gonna kick your ass.:eek:oooh:

15. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I don't think either fish of equal size is capable of killing one another, But Cat Matt is no joke! and is far from a liar....The only way I see this happening is if a large flathead grabs ahold of a large "SICK" blue cats head and drowns it... That's my only logical reason that this would or could happen.

16. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Let's get Michael Vick to set up some catfish fights. LOL

17. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    LMAO!!!

18. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Or better yet....lets throw him in the tank with monster cats and see if they will eat his sorry A$$.:smile2:

19. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    Heres my opinion I cought a 20 lb Flathead once with my dipnet that lost a fight with a three or four lb Chanel Cat or Blue . That Flathead tried to swollow the Chanel cat or Blue ?????? and lost . The Blue or Chanel stuck thouse spins straight into the Flatheads Gills . Fight was over . Flathead lost . Chanel cat or Blue swims of Flathead Dies. You should have seen those Gills Bleeding .

20. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    I know thay can swollow that size and do . But that lost