flathead catfish keep getting off!?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by gportsbaseball, Jun 9, 2009.

1. gportsbaseball

gportsbaseball New Member

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    ok so i went out flathead fishing last night and i had tons of missed hook sets. i was using live goldfish on the bottom with a 2 oz no-roll sinker(kept em down good) my first flathead i hooked into i got him all the way up to the bank and seen him it was probably the biggest flathead i would have gotten, but then right in my face, he spit out the hook and swam away. And other times i get a huge hit and i let the fish run for about 10 seconds before setting the hook, i flip my rod back and i can feel the weight of the fish, but then not even 15 seconds later my line goes limp and its gone. I'm using a 5/0 gama octo. is it possible that my hook size is too small and im not getting a good hookup? or what???

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    A 5/0 hook is probably big enough for a five inch goldfish.
    If you got 8 in. goldfish use an 8/0
    Only hook the bait deep enough to hold him on and leave plenty of hook point showing. If your in current hook him through the lips, if in a lake hook him in the back by the dorsal fin.
    If that don't work give circle hooks a try.

3. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Buy yourself some 8/0 eagle claw king kahle's.:wink:

4. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I agree with Josh. With the suggestions of some local BOC members in Arizona I started using #7 and #10 Kahle hooks with good success. When you see the size of bluegill they eat don't be concerned about hook size being to big. You can check out the BOC library for suggestions different hooks for different strategies and circumstances. Just my thoughts

5. musky_D

musky_D New Member

State:
    Plano, TX
    I second that. Even try some 10/0- I'd use 14/0 if I could find them. Also set the hook like you're trying to make the fish fly! I've never ripped the lips off a catfish, but I have had them swim all the way to the boat only to spit the hook out right in my face. :embarassed:

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Try to keep your hooks razor sharp,it makes a difference.A decent hook hone costs about 2 bucks.I never fish a hook out of the box without touching it up first,you,ll be able to tell the difference by how much easier it punches through your bait.:wink:

7. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i like the 10/0s my self but there all good hooks

8. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Try a bigger hooks size or give em more time on the bait. I have had hooks pop like that before got one in and seen he was barley hooked in the side of the mouth. Somtimes they mouth a bait and ya just give another 5 seconds then cross their eyes and set again if ya thin ya need it. When I was tailrace fishen alot I got to where I would always double set. Aslo try a octo hook or a kingkhale 2 sizes bigger than what ya usen.

9. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I think you could beef up your hook size a bit. I use 10/0 king kahles and 9/0 gamma. oct. hooks. Don't worry too much about the hook being too big. I've caught fish on rigs where my hook was almost bigger than the bait I was using. Just make sure that where you hook your bait, whether it be in the tail, the lips, or below the dorsal fin, that it has little chance of setting back into the bait. I fish in rivers with current, so I usually hook through the lips and out the nostrill where there is no chance of that happening. Also, make sure you've got the point exposed and there are no scales or anything else on your hook point. Setting the hook hard and often a second time is also some good advice mentioned earlier. I do believe though, that hooks can be too sharp in certain situations. In heavy cover with a lot of wood, if your hook is razor sharp, it grabs onto snags much easier and tighter than a normal out-of-the-box hook would. In eddies, or shallow featureless runs where a lot of guys fish at night it probably would'nt make a difference, but it's a tip that I think, has saved me from pouring a lot of sinkers and buying more hooks. Good luck to ya' bud!:wink:

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    1. Downsize your hook size. Using a 10/0 on a 4 inch baitfish is not recommended. Using a 2/0 on a 15 inch largemouth bass is not recommended either! Match the size of the hook to the size of the bait.

2. Are you using light to medium action spinnning rods? if so, you may need to get a stiffer rod.

3. Use J, octopus, or kahle hooks. Then you can give them the Tuna Jerk and make sure the hook is properly set!

4. Could be really tiny infant flatheads.

11. gportsbaseball

gportsbaseball New Member

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    im using about 6-8 in. goldfish.
    i have 2 heavy ugly stiks
    ill use a bigger hook now
    thanks

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i got the same problem, with circal hooks, them kaels wont come out bro, im telling you ,im using circals to see the diffrance, i cant decide on kaels or gamma circals, the kaels get in better but circals hookup better without running to your rod im going to get 10 ot kaels,

13. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've been using 8 or 10 ought king kahles for almost all my flathead fishing with big bait the last 2 yrs, and have been very happy with them. The Gamatsu big river bait hooks are good for extremely large bait also. I do use the circles sometimes with smaller chubs if that is all I can get for bait, or for channel but for big flathead I think sometimes the extra sharp tip of a Gamatsu circle can stick back into your bait when a fish mouths it. Like everyone said, it depends on how you hook your bait and how big of bait you are using.

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    try all the hooks, and i would use bluegill, not goldfish, freespool a kael, tightline a circal, and see whats working, for blues and channels, circals are better, for flatheads i dont know man, thats why im running three hooks, gamma and team circals, on medum baits, and king kaels on flatheads, use both on three rods, you will find out it might take a year or 2 to find out, i feel your frustration i lost a flathead on a gamma 8, i never lost a flat on a king kael in freespool, hope this helps