flathead catfish keep getting off!?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by gportsbaseball, Jun 9, 2009.

1. gportsbaseball

gportsbaseball New Member

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    ok so i went out flathead fishing last night and i had tons of missed hook sets. i was using live goldfish on the bottom with a 2 oz no-roll sinker(kept em down good) my first flathead i hooked into i got him all the way up to the bank and seen him it was probably the biggest flathead i would have gotten, but then right in my face, he spit out the hook and swam away. And other times i get a huge hit and i let the fish run for about 10 seconds before setting the hook, i flip my rod back and i can feel the weight of the fish, but then not even 15 seconds later my line goes limp and its gone. I'm using a 5/0 gama octo. is it possible that my hook size is too small and im not getting a good hookup? or what???

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'm having more of that happening myself,,
    If you get it figured out, please post..
    I've almost decided to use 2 hooks on my terminal rig..

3. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i had the same luck till i started using a tight drag. i don't let them run with anything anymore. its a lot easier to time the bite that way. you just have to keep a better eye on your rods! let it hit till you get a steady bend. shane

4. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Don't let 'em run. Read these quotes from S man (Skip) that were posted in another thread on hooking flatheads awhile back. He knows his stuff.....

AND..........
    Hope the info helps!

5. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Also.....yeah, it might help going to a bigger hook. Most of the guys i fish for Flatheads with use an 8/0 Gamakatsu MINIMUM. 9/0 or 10/0 hooks are usually the ticket. Sometimes even bigger. (the 10/0 or 12/0 big river hooks).

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use 8/0 gama circles...Not to brag, but I have not lost a fish in years thanks to them..No hook setting required.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Also, if you had tons of missed hooksets, all of those runs were probably not flatheads.

It is highly unlikely to get tons of flathead runs in one night..Are you fishing a river? If so the gar are really bad right now.

8. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    your clicker is only there to let you know that something is messing with your bait, its your job to quickly get to your pole, engage your reel and feel whats happening on the other end.. the post above is perfect, wait till your positive you have a fish eating your bait, let a little tension build up and.......... WHAM!!! i love turning off that clicker and being able to feel that big flathead getting ready to swallow your bait... also if you wait an extra second you can avoid alot of missed hook sets, sometimes channels, little flatheads, gar or turtles will try to take on your bait... they will usually drop it after a second when you engage your reel... hope this helps! i remember going through the same thing...

9. gportsbaseball

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    no gars in the water i fish

10. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Jack ain't lyin'. If you want more proof about the circles working just ask my gf's 9 year old son. He was using a 8/0 gama circle when he lost his combo last night (read my post about it for the whole story). They hook 'em good for sure!

11. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yeah,most everyone suggests using circles at least 2 sizes bigger than what you are used to using.that is because of the narrower gap between the hook point and the shank of the hook.i used to use 6/0 hooks,now that i went to circles,i use 8/0 gamakatsu circles.if i miss a fish now,its because of stupidity.

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    It does not take a very big fish to swallow a 8/0 or 10/0 hook. I think you should up size your hooks and wait till you feel the fish on. If using Circle hooks they will set themselves if you just hang on to the pole. My oldest son and I were fishing the other night. He had never used circle hooks. He made the statement that they were fool-proof with rod holds on the boat.

13. gportsbaseball

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    thanks, i think im gonna try some 8/0 circle hooks next time

14. flatheadsteve

flatheadsteve New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i never let a fish run far at all.. if i am fishing on the bottom and the clicker goes of i pick the rod up engage the reel let the fish tighten up the line and set the hook. if i am fishing with a float and it goes down i crank down on the fish till i feel his weight then set. just how i do it, i have never had much of a problem this way.

15. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack hit it right on the head ! If your fishing the river lots of those runs are probably Gar. I would try using some different hooks. Make sure they are new and Sharp. I personally use 7/0 to 10/0 Khales and I never miss fish. I have also been using Sickle hooks on my second rod and they are really good hooks . They are pricy but I like them a lot.
    Matt AKA DESODE