Flathead catfish info??

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bambam77, Jun 13, 2007.

1. bambam77

bambam77 New Member

State:
    nc
    I need a little advice on this... I've been trying to hook up with a big flat but I think I need some help...I've been using a carolina rig for my live bait. Is there a better way??? I've read about some of you using thill quarks to float the bait off the bottom.....how is that rigged???? also i know that they love log jams and shallow flats but do i need to fish right in the log jams or try to set up just on the outskirts??? Which way will help me keep my bait from wrapping me up almost everytime i throw in there?? I believe I know what i need to do but the knowledge that some of you have on here is second to none when it comes to flatties and your advice would add a lot of confidence to my tackle box !!!!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!!

2. lj catman

lj catman New Member

State:
    la junta,colorado
    use gene's katbobbers i tryed them and they work to keep your bait off the ground

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I second the KatBobbers advice..

Also, For Big Flatheads (30+lbs), PATIENCE is key...I've gone whole seasons without a hook up..

4. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I usually use an eggsinker, followed by a split shot, and then the hook. The length of the leader depends on what I'm fishing. The more current or structure the shorter the leader (maybe 6"). This will keep the bait from getting to beat up and from finding its way into a snag. Longer leader when there is less structure present up to about 2'. If the log jam has a little depth its perfect and get right up in it. It is hard work keeping them out of there, and occasionally you will be wrapped up, but thats flatheading. Good luck!

5. bambam77

bambam77 New Member

State:
    nc
    HOW DO YOU RIG THE CAT BOBBER'S??????

6. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
  7. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    the rig i use is: bober stop, bead,4in thill big fish float, bead, egg sinker, bead, swivel, 12-15 in leader,6/0 ocopus hook.

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fish a simple carolina rig as you described: egg sinker on the line, tie on the rig, which consists of a swivel, 50 pound mono leader about 18" long, then a kahle hook sized to match the bait. The hook should be big enough to get a hookup, but not so big that it kills or weighs down the bait In other words, they should be able to swim with it). My fishing buddy has caught flatheads over 50 pounds on 2/0 and 3/0 kahles. I usually use 4/0 or 5/0 these days. If you are using heavy tackle and putting a ton of presure on the fish, you might need to go heavier. On medium tackle with a decent drag setting, the hooks will hold fine.

If you are fishing at night when the fish are active, then you do not need to put the bait in the snags, just near them. For trying to get daytime flatheads to bite, you might have to get the bait right up into the snag. Since they are inactive during the day, you pretty much have to put the bait in their face.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good advise by all ! one thing that will save a few of your rigs is to wieght the bait down. i use at least 3 oz to keep the bait from wraping me up in the snags. dont be afraid to cast close to shore middle and outer tip of jambs. try both live and cut,they arent always willing to catch there meals (especialy in the daytime).

tight lines bro.