flathead catfish in winter and fall

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by b.ries, Sep 28, 2009.

1. b.ries

b.ries New Member

State:
    Ohio.
    Hey i was just wondering if the flatheads and channel bit during the winter and fall seasons?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Channel cats will hit all winter...If we have a fairly warm fall I have caught flatheads in late november here in Ohio...If it is a cool fall, I cant catch them past october.

3. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Good question Bailey. I have been wondering the same thing. I have yet to get a flat this year and I aint ready to give up yet!! Welcome to the BOC!

4. b.ries

b.ries New Member

State:
    Ohio.
  5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    last year i caught them up til the first week in NOV.(in PA) the water was just a little over 50 degs. once it went under 50 degs. the bite just shut down for the flatty's, its possible to catch them if you can locate their wintering holes and get baits right in front of their faces, they just aren't on the move like in warmer water.

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

The flathead fishing gets REAL dicey around my area once the water temps dip below 65.I aint saying I haven,t caught a few below that,but you gotta put in too many fruitless trips.IMO:wink:

7. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    around here the channels bite all year long...I have got some winter flatheads but you gotta drop it right on their heads to get em to bite in the cold...

the fall flathead bite is the best time to get em...good luck

8. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    You gotta go deep and be patient:cool2:

9. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    But let it b know if ya catch flats from wintering holes pls release them all cuz these are the fish we fish for spring summer fall and it can really hurt the population of flatties ...sniper

10. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    Around my neck of the woods (Racine pool Ohio River WV) in winter (water below 50) the flats head to the dams ( I live directly between 2 dams) and the deeper slower moving waters on the shore side of the lock chamber where it is nice and peaceful and arent too far from the constant supply of baitfish. They are tough to catch in winter even if you know where thay are but it is possible with patience and good bait. The finding of quality gills or whatever you prefer is the real challenge for me during this time. The gill ponds I hit in spring, summer and fall kinda shut down in the winter and ya have to chum a bunch to turn them on. But if ya can get some decent bait the hard part is done. There isnt too many people who fish at this time of year and the river will be deserted. Unless you live around a lot of people who fish for blues in the cold.

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Bailey.

12. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    they key to catching flats in the fall and winter is to find their wintering hole that's going to be anywhere from 30-100 feet deep depending on your river system. they'll usually be stacked up in the whole and you'll have to be patient because their not as apt to bite. If you know where one is already then you're already one step ahead but usually the best way to find them is get a map of the water you're fishing and check the depth of the area, then drive in a boat(if you have one) with a fish finder until you find that spot. I haven't tried fishing for them in winter yet I'm usually to busy with deer, duck, and pheasant but I'm not apposed to it if somebody would take me in their boat.:wink:

13. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Good question...been wondering that myself. Welcome to the BOC :cool2:

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    channels all winter,even through the ice. we usually get a few on halloween for our annual videos. after that its deer time.