Flathead catfish in the "pipes"

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by riverbud55, Mar 13, 2006.

1. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Hey guy's has any one ever done or herd of doing this, I do my fishen on the AZ and CA border along the colorado river around Blythe CA. The area around blythe is all irragated farm land fed by a large canal system, there are two types of canals, the upper irragation canals that feed the fields with the water that hold a lot of nice channels and smaller flats , and the lower drain canals that take all the overflow water that comes off the fields and water that is not used in the irragation canals and and drains it back in the river and this is were some of the biggest flats are taken

one dude Rafeal is kinda the legend of Blythe It is said that he can get a 40lber any time he wants and i realy do believe that! I have seen the dude with some monsters, wyane at the local bait shop says he gets more big fish as all the rest put together, but he puts in some very very hard work to get them, he gets them out of the drain canals and fishes "the pipes" (the pipes that run under roads and the irragation canals) and he's one of only a few that will do it I think he has got to be nuts. What you got to do is find a spot that looks like no one has ever been there. and get down the side of the canal about 30' holding a rope and then wades in to the water these spots are full of tules and all the crap that grows (thorns)along the drain canals, and then there's all the critters down there snakes , skunks ' raccones, beavers and the biggest damn bugs you ever could see. And then when you in the water there gots to be turtles . there are place's that are not that bad but they get fished. he goes were other's dare not... The dude hangs around the bait shop drinken all day then goes driving the canal road's and fishen at nite.

also met up with and old timer that does it diffrent he uses a heavey 12' poll and stands on the bank holding on to a rope tied off to him and holding his poll out over to the center of the canal letting his bait sucked through the pipe
    I would guess these pipes are holding the big cat becuse of the cover. the "pipe" is about 4' around with a slow current.

never have heard on the board about any one doing any kind of fishing for flats in this way or in pipes. I know Whistler is from around these parts and maybe he's seen some other ways.

just looken for some more info for the bros going the AZ and CA gathering in april need all we can get

thank,s and good fish to all

2. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    That's interesting. Are you talking about calverts? I've caught some nice channels inside calverts.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Flatheads would love those spots. but I think there has to be a easy way to fish them/
    Can you let a big float( like maine- Wolf sells) drift the bait into the culvert? Then have it pegged where you can snap the rod and pull the line out and let the hook settle into the pipe?
    That should work.
    Pete

Ps the float would still be on the mail line.Just peg it close to the bait. and then when you jerk the rod let the bait settle down.

4. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    We call that noodling in Oklahoma:0a20: flatheads hole up in just about anything they will fit in lol

5. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Bill D Curtis this is not noodling, it is on rod and reel, the only way we are allowed to fish in ca + AZ

I guess you could call it a calvert, the pipe that is, it is a large concret pipe about 4' around there may be fom 1 to 4 of them under the road, that is about 1' to 2' under the surfice of the water, when the water inters the pipe it look like a big bath tube draining

no matter how you do it you drop your bait in front of the pipe and let it get pulled along with the current and in to the pipe letting the line out slowly untill it comes out the other side, after 2 times threw the pipe ya move on

ShilohRed I'd like to see what your talking about, if it isn't a slip sinker a swivel and a hook i wouldn,t know how to it LOL

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    um:rolleyes: you said snakes. i think id just wait on them to come out or you could try smokeing him out. we do that with raccoons sometimes. just kidding. it dont sound like the water is very deep but interesting.

7. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i'm sure there's something to it. Up by us, there's a concrete wall with an old discharge tunnel coming out of it. And flats get taken in and around that tunnel...

Shawn

8. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    You have peaked my interest. There are a couple a culverts about 6ft across on the red that I may have to try!

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That is what I'm talking about. make the leader 6", But let a slip float be above the sinker. And peg the float to the line with a rubber band or what ever you can get to work.
    Let it drift over to the culvert, Then as its starts into the culvert snap the rod back to release the float to slip on the line.
    But then again if he current is fast it may not work.
    Then I would rig up one rod with a float and a release to take the bait into the pipe. Then when you release it the float can be reeled back in.
    Pete

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Sounds like you pretty much have it all figured out. You just need to be crazy one day and jump in with both feet. It sounds no different then fishing small rivers here in missouri for small mouth bass. Letting the bait drift thru the holes. It's just that your letting your bait drift thru a culvert. How deep is the water? Sounds to me it's pretty shallow if they are wading it. Might try asking this Rafeal guy if he wants to go with you sometime.

11. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    not every thing crazy

Like if its a "pipe" i would think they would be smooth on the inside and with a current going through them and thinking theres not much of any structure in them why would they be hanging out in the there knowing they like to get behind something in moving water. Would they put up with the current in the pipe exchange for the cover of the pipe? Not sure if maybe you wouldn't just use a few bb shots on the line to hold the bait to the bottom or just fly line it threw the pipe.

I,m hoping that we can talk one of our bros in to trying this at our gathering in a few weeks in blythe and want to get some pic's up showing this, they may be some good ones lol

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Just depends I guess. If it's a concrete pipe yeah I'm sure it's smooth but if its a galvanized steel pipe it's like a wash board in there. I guess it comes down too what do you call strong current. Who knows what else is inside that pipe you can't see. Besides I don't see why a flathead would not use the pipe if that’s what he has to hide in. There is one way to find out and that is to try it your self and not talk someone else into doing it. :)