Flathead catfish in the marina 5-8-09 - Ohio River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by CincyCat, May 9, 2009.

1. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    With the Ohio River up around 46' (summer pool is 26') I decided to try a little night fishing last night off the back of my houseboat which is in a marina, out of the current. So far I have caught 11 cats, 8 of which were flats between 5 and 14 lbs, one blue which went 15 lbs and 2 channels with the biggest being 14, my personal biggest channel!!

All were caught on live shad 5-8".

The last one I caught last night was at 3:30am, then I started over this morning and caught 3 of those 11 so far today. I've missed maybe 4 others, so it seems to me the cats really wanted out of the heavy current.

The thing that I really find odd is I rarely ever have caught a flattie in this marina after fishing here for 5 years, altho I normally catch a good amount of blues. Is this a typical pattern for flats in high water? Also, there are shad in here but not massive schools like I sometimes see. It takes 5-6 throws with my cast net to get just 3-4 shad.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dunno about marinas, but in highwater conditions it seems the inside bends, eddy areas off the main current, and flooded slack areas seem to hold flatheads. At times, it can hold numbers of them as well. I don't see why marinas would be much different. I like to target them calm areas just inside the hard flowing river channel and current, or the backside of islands that create a pocket of calm water. They seem to move in and out of these areas alot in highwater. I think it gives them the opportunity to relax from the current, and an easy feed on alot of other congregated baitfish. So I would say thats why they are there, but who knows. Anyways, congrats on the good cats bro. Goodluck to ya... rollo

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    They are definatley biting in there, I was there today for about 2 hours and caught 3 flatheads all in the single digit lb range, but still pretty neat. I have a feeling he will get a good one as it gets later this evening. Thanks for having my son and I out to the boat had a blast!:wink:

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    All I can say is wow, Congrats on some real nice catches!

5. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Update: Total catch for the weekend - 21 cats. 14 were flats, 4 blues and 3 channels. As Travis said I was expecting some big results Saturday night but I had other things to take care of so I didnt have the poles out that night. I did get them out Sunday morning and switched to cut shad and hit 3 blues and 2 channels inside of 2 hour. (side note: an 8 year old little girl who was on a friends boat next to mine wanted in on the action so she came over and reeled in 2 of those cats while I held the pole. She was screaming and stomping her feet with excitment when the cats appeared at the back of the boat).
    I caught the biggest flat of the weekend yesterday at 6 pm which went 18lbs.

I was really expecting a 30+ at some point, but I won't complain as that was the best fishing I ever had while just sitting there inthe marina.

Pics to come.

It was great having Travis and his son down for awhile too. With all the cookies I gave him I bet he was wired that night!!!:smile2: