Flathead Catfish in the lake

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by snakeman76, Aug 20, 2009.

1. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Do flats live in lakes as well as rivers? One of the local rivers here is full of flats but would they also be in the lake that I fish in I never chased flats but soon I am buying a new rig that should handle them so I thought i might give them a shot this fall

2. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Ask around in local bait shops, barbershops, marinas on the lake in question etc... You can find out if the lake has Flatheads in it or not from the people who fish it..

Now on the catching part, Again its the homework you do that = success on a lake or river IMHO. Study the quarry/game/target, look for sandy rocky flats, just in 15' from the outside of them, where it drops off into deeper water are killer spots for flats during nighttime hours, heck even during the day sometimes.

Also dead falls around the bank or over some rip rap. I've seen video of Flatheads just laying in the limbs during the day:eek:oooh:. Deep holes with structure or without will produce. stump beds, steep tree infested water near banks on points. Old flooded houses, creek channels with old bridges,culverts, pilings, anything where the flathead can rest beside or inside from/in a ambush position. Live bait native to the water worked well but you stick something in front of a hungry flathead ,it will be his next meal IMHO..:big_smile:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  4. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    The lake has a lot of spots with trees and logs lying on the bottom close to the dam it looks like a tree graveyard

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:Honey Hole:big_smile::big_smile::wink: Did I mention that would be a Honey Hole:eek:oooh:

6. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    kenny you mean the area near the dam now i am talking about in the lake

7. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Greg, the flats love that kind of cover, the trees and logs you are talking about gives then a place to hide and attack baitfish and shade in the heat of the day, put a big oke shad, gill or sunnie right on the edge of that mess....wait...and real him in!

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    If there is flatheads in that lake, you can bet they are all over that lumberyard:big_smile:

I just caught the 13.9 on a dam full of riprap, just in front of a couple small limbs. 5' from the bank @7 1/2' deep, It dropped off into deeper water around 16-20 in spots. it set for just afew minutes and was gone. because the flathead was using that little bit of cover laying over the rocks as a ambush point.

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Yeah,there,s tons of lakes with flatties in them.Sounds like some nice structure in your lake.Make sure there,s actually flatties in the lake before you try for them though.Look on some of your states Fish and game sites.See if any of them ever showed up in trapnetting surveys or electro fishing surveys.Don,t go by hearsay unless you have reason to trust the person and they,ve seen the fish firsthand.Lot of lakes out there RUMORED to have flats in them but don,t actually have em.Hope your lake does!:wink:

10. bigwig531

bigwig531 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    hmmm sounds like you know quite a bit about flat heads.
    thanks for this info, im a beginner and know i will be taking this to the water with me next time i go.

11. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    also remember patience, patience, patience, river honey holes are very different from lake honey holes, in a river flatheads can be concentrated in specific areas and roam those areas which differes from spring summer and fall, lakes however depending on how expansive the lake is can cover a larger territory especially if lots of structure is present, since youve located the mother load of structure, its time to pull some all nighters and dont get frustrated if you get skunked or only catch 1 or 2 a night, cause there could come a night were you get on them and get 10-20 in one night being the type of structure you have found, i primarily fish lakes for flats and its not easy but is very rewarding when you hook into a monter, especially a lake that is full of bait fish for them to gorge them selves on cause they get big really fast. good luck and tight lines