Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes? no? maybe so? im curious, i live a mile away from the Illinois and i wanna know if i could pull a flathead out of there. ive pulled nice channels from there but never a flathead.

·
Registered
263 Posts
yes they are in all of our river systems for the most part. Fox and Rock are two of the mid sized river you can find them in. Or you could always fish the illinois river which holds a lot. if you live by the western boarder of illinois you can try the pecatonica river. Its a very small river system, but holds many suprises

·
Registered
943 Posts
Illinois river has alot of flatheads in current breaks, brushpiles etc. You wont find them out in the open runs etc. Bluegill, small 4"-6" carp/asian carp or bullheads are best bait. We prefer bluegill and bullheads ourselves. Photobucket has pictures from just this past weekend we took of flat's etc from an Illinois tributary not too far from the river proper. Lagrange locks produce flats too but you have to search for the brush. Flats love brush. If your boating then the bridge pillars can produce flats too along with the other big 2. We've caught flats along with the other 2 when theyre loading barges with grain. Shad etc feed then the predators move in. If your bank fishing your spots and oppurtunites wil be limited but brush is still the key. Walk the bank as much as you can and watch for stickups etc that may show you the top of a brushpile. Creeks and mouths of creeks can be flathead hotspots too. Doubt many flats are caught out in the river proper.

·
Registered
943 Posts
We were catching some flats on the Illinois but most come from the Sangamon. Illinois is running high and fast here now. Takin it easy this weekend then back at it next weekend. Illinois has old wing dams in a few spots but I dont think theres low head dams, its navigatable. The few wingdams produce eater size channel like a factory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.