Flathead catfish in the heat of summer

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KSflatheadKING3511, Mar 28, 2007.

1. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    this summer i will be doing a lot of flathead fishing, primarily at the last couple hours of sunlight to midnight. what approach should i take for 1) the river around a dam and 2) a resivor over some flats and in the spillway
    i really appreciate your comments
    Ryan

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    In the heat of the summer, i prefer to fish below dams becasue the flowing water is more cooler and oxygenated than the rest of the river. That's where flatheads will be.

3. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i do alot of my flathead fishing in the summer bellow a spillway they will go right up to the face of hte spillway and eat baitfish getting washed thru.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I hear Flatheads, bite best a night.

5. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i have caught all my good flatheads at midday on live and cut bait around structure in slow moving washouts

6. g.kempf

g.kempf New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Some say deep holes in the river when it is hot out, I have the best luck in about 4 to 6 feet of water out of the main current I always fish in the dark also.

7. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i will be bank fishing and i dont know of any holes there. any suggetions? i know there som rocky bottoms with old trees in it and it right below a river dam where theres a flats area with a dropoff from the flat to the main water current. i caught a 21# channel there last year using a live goldfish

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    you dont necessarily need to fish the deepest holes to find a flathead. day, or night. i fish a spillway dam, and i sometimes catch them on the edges of the tailwaters right up next to the bank. even moreso at night. and especially around the spawn. try several spots. and dont be afraid to move your bait every once in a while. and dont be afraid to change baits also. i use big bull bluegills, punkinseeds, green sunfish, big suckers, creek chubs, baby carp, and goldfish, i dont mind using shad for flathead if i can find a fresh supply, and use them alive. keep changing your patterns until you hit on something they like....

9. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    what is the best way to hook a shad in warm water so they last longer? also how long do they usually stay alive when hooked?

10. LITTLE FISH

LITTLE FISH New Member

State:
    New Paris, Ohio
    I go when the sun starts going down when it cools down a little bit ​

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i hook them in the back a little behind the dorsal fin. being careful not to hit the spine, or lateral line. if it bleeds, it's dead! how long they last usually depends on how strong the current is. check it every half an hour or so. if it's alive wait a little longer next time.

12. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i fish flooded vegitation when i used to fish for them shallow with weeds with a bluebill

13. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Ryan
    A rocky bottom with submerged trees below a dam? I believe this is what is called Gods gift to flathead fishermen. Luck

14. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I prefer to fish for the Flatties in Ohio from 57 degree water temp till the spawn which starts @ approx 74 water temps. I than hang up the poles till the water drops back down under 74. The HOT water is hard on live baits, the Flats are skinny from the spawn, the hot weather is not comfortable as the cooler nites, the bite does not seem as good.

If using live baits than while the water is over 74, Bullhead live baits can withstand it about the best :wink: .

:cool2:

15. P.Bean

P.Bean New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    for the last 5 years i have always used the common slip rig for when i flathead fish...just wondering if anybody as ever used a 3 way swivel rig with a circle hook and how their hookup ratio was

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    As soon after you catch them as you can, hook them thru the grisel in the nose. I can't tell you how far back in the nose to hook em so they stay on durring a cast you just gotta do it a few times. Err on the thick side, they got no brains in their nose so go farther back than you think is needed. If its hard to get your hook thru then you have it right. If I get one on soon after netting and its still alive it will kick all night long. Even if it already has a red nose. I'm talking larger shad say 10 to 15 inches. They are much more hardy than 4 or 5 inchers which die easily.