flathead catfish in the daytime

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by capmadlee, May 28, 2009.

1. capmadlee

capmadlee Member

State:
    p hill missouri
    the past couple of weeks weve been fishing durning the day. weve cought most of our fish from 2 to 4. why would they pick up at this time? they havent been little i broke my pb with a 49 pounder. 3 other people broke theirs too with a 36,24 and 21. i thought they ate at night. we tried all night and the bites die off at dark and from 12 to 6 u couldnt buy a bite. ive had live perch and live shad, but they have only been biteing on cut shad. very weird to me. can someone please help to figure out? thanks.

Peteluck likes this.
  2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught most of my flatheads in the past several years during the daytime, it can be a good bite.

Peteluck likes this.

3. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I hate fishing at night.I catch all my flatheads in daytime and theres been a lot of them in 40 years.:smile2:

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    your in there homes, they feed al the time, they move at night, a flathead is an abush predater, not a hunter like a blue, your getting in there nest, maby spawining are they males, look at the head to tell, if there males there garding there nest, they dont move alot, in the day, but feed just as much, science fact, not my opinion, im studing blues and flathead habits, but their are exeptions to sciectific reserch,

5. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I don't personally have much experience with flathead in the daytime, but several articles I have read in the recent fishing magazines say that early in the year when the water is warming the daytime bite can be very good, especially on overcast days. Also the cutbait can outproduce livebait this time of year according to some of the guys they interviewed. These guys were putting baits right in the middle of wood cover where flats hold during the day and said that if you put it under their nose they will eat it whenever. I plan to try to test their theory as soon as I can.

Peteluck likes this.
  6. capmadlee

capmadlee Member

State:
    p hill missouri
    yes their males. havent pulled many females. dont thank they have dropped their eggs yet.

7. mike_4843

mike_4843 Member

State:
    Shippensburg PA
    What size of live bait does every one perfer? I never caught any flats but do you need a baitcasting reel for flats? and every one is always talking about log jams and cover Ii cant find anything like that on the river i fish.

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

There gotta be some kind of cover.It just might not be the typical stuff.How about man-made cover?,like walls along the bank with a little depth next to em or old docks or barges.Any dams,There gotta be some kind of rock cover below them somewhere.I like live bait from 4inches to 12 inches,whatever I can get.As for the original question-I didn,t used to ever fish day for flats,it took me a few years experimenting to find some good day holes.I,m glad I did.I wish there was an easier way,but nothing beats exploring.:wink:

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i like to use 5-8 inch sunnies or gills, and i use all spinning gear with baitrunners, look for down trees in the water or like patcat said around bridges and manmade stuff for cover, this time of year at nite cast closer to the shore lines, sorry if i hi-jacked the thread

10. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I caught my P.B. 42# at 4pm. I fish when I got the time. So day or night it doesnt matter, they can be caught at both times.

11. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    My P.B. #1, 2, and 3 were all caught between 3 pm and 4 pm. Personally I've had better luck day fishing than night fishing, but that might be because of my tendency to not hit as many areas, and I also spend some time inspecting my eyelids.:wink:

12. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I tried for two weekends last year at night for flatheads and got skunked. Then i watched a video seminar from Rock River catfish guide CattMatt. He only fishes during the daytime and boats hundreds of flatties each season. You just have to find their haunts and fish them thoroughly. When I say "haunts", I mean mid-depth to deep holes with lots of wood cover or rootwads from fallen trees, or man-made structure like rip rap or wing dams. Furthermore, fishing the spot effectively doesn't mean just sitting with your baits in one spot for 5 hours. What I mean is that you should try to get your baits in any spot along that brushpile that might hold fish. I usually leave them in one spot for 5-15 minutes, depending on the spot. When i want to move the bait, I'll just lift the it off the bottom and let the current take the bait further down the tree trunk or whatever structure your fishing. I normally don't fish a spot anymore than an hour. Needless to say, I learned all of this from watching an hour long seminar on how this guy catches flatheads during the day consistently, and what do you know, I caught my first flathead on the first day out and several more since then. P.S. You can probably find a link to watch this seminar somewhere on this site. It's where i found it and it helped me out a great deal! I'm also not trying to sound like a know-it-all, which i am definetely not! Most of this should have quotation marks behind it, if you know what i mean!:wink: GOOD LUCK and GOOD FISHING!

13. Deerslayer29

Deerslayer29 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The fish in my avitar is 26# and he was caught in mid june 90 degrees at 4 pm. The picture I posted was caught on may 19th at 3:30 pm. I love to fish between the hours of 3 and 7 seems like all my big bites are during this time. I think its because they feed at night and 12 hours later they get hungry again which would be around this time frame. I also dont leave my fresh cut shad in any one spot more than 15 minutes. My buddy does and I outfish him everytime out. LOL

Attached Files:

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    cattmatt is the best ive seen in my life

15. jugginhunter

jugginhunter New Member

State:
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    i jug and ive never caught a flat in the day. the only time we catch flats are probably about 9 to 11 p.m. but ill keep tryin:big_smile:

16. Flattie Stalker

Flattie Stalker New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It helps if it is rainy or cloudy:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:Or if you can get it right in front of their holes or their face.:big_smile::wink:

17. Les101

Les101 Guest

I'm interested in trying the daylight hours. My problem is that the rivers and lakes I fish do not have deep water. The deepest parts seem to be between 15 and 18 feet. I would love to fish for them in daylight.

18. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana

Thats plenty deep. The river I fish you are lucky to get over your head.

19. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I would consider 15 ft a deep river.I catch a lot of flatheads from 2-3 ft.