flathead catfish in the day

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by CatsNstripers, May 20, 2009.

1. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I'm not good at it. plain and simple. I've caught them in day, but a few people can produce time after time. I just cant seem to get the hang of it. But this spring here on my home lake, Smith mtn lake. Really baffled me. Alot of people were catching flatheads during the day, fishing for them and accidently. heard about alot more flats caught then i normaly do. I've tried, just no luck, always ended up catching channels and stripers. Can i ask what are looking for during the day time? I've got to be doing something backwards during the daylight hours. I guess its about time to totaly fish at night for flatheads, atleast on SML the boat traffic gets aweful bad.

2. Steelheadmaster

Steelheadmaster New Member

State:
    Christiansburg, Va
    I was thinking of hitting SML in a day or 2, I hear that boat traffic is the worst of anywhere there... true?? I've only got a single man pontoon boat and its terrible to operate while big boats are blasting by me all the time.

Bobby

3. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    95% of the flatheads we caught this past month were during the day, and we caught some pigs. During the day we do the hunting for them and never sit on community holes. I don't know anything about SML but here I sit no more than a hour and move on to something new. Plus big bait = big fish and helps keeping the small off.

4. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    couldnt have said it better Keepit ,we usually fish where no one else will.look for the anything to fish under and it doesnt have to be much, just a little shade usually works well..And most of all BIG BAIT!!!!
    Usually do best when there is no boat traffic..
    Almost forgot goat rope and sturdy reels because they are tough to get out of those hiding spots, they have been busting our tackle on a daily basis...

5. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I think its just my luck this year, it hasnt been good for flats I dont know what going on. I think For flatheads this year, i've just been starting out in a slow rut and either getting to frustrated or triing to hard as my friends keep telling me.

My bait is mainly Gizzard shad. big and livly, and i change often. Night or day i dont sit in one spot long. I do a "two change bait rule". I first cast out my first baits, with gizzard shad you got a window of 30mins before they die when anchored to the bottom on a carolina rig... Roughly 20-30mins check baits, Dead or dieing ones get replaced and casted back out, the few still livly (if any) get casted back out. They sit for another roughly 20-30mins.. No hits or slow action, I'm gone to the next spot.. When i use live sunfish, i still check my baits reg, due to there tendacy to get under rocks or logs and hang you up. Our rivers here arent much for current. So it's slim to none on log jams. So what i'm looking for is laydowns and sunken logs, rock bluffs and when i'm in the river or creek channels i look for deeper holes.

For boat traffic on SML its miserable during the day, and you aint seen so many idiots its unreal. But boat traffic can really shut down the bite for alot of fish. And with Mem. day this weekend, it marks the begging of summer for most of the tourist on Smith mtn and from now until labor day its ridiculous. For those that dont get to fish during the week. Fishing after 10am on the weekend is out of the question until about 5pm