Flathead catfish in the Dan

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by mr.whiskers83, Feb 12, 2009.

1. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    I just wanted to know when the flatheads get up river, say from the NC line to up towards Danville, and when does the bite usually turn on? Any info would very helpful. Thanks.

2. Leftenant

Leftenant New Member

State:
    NC
    A good rule of thumb that we use is when the Dogwood trees bloom, it's time to hit the river. Of course there will be some moving up before then and some after then. Generally though, when the trees bloom, you usually can't go wrong. Tight Lines!!!!!!!

3. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    Thanks for the info. I will definitely be out there when the time gets right. If there are any other tips anybody has please let me know. Thanks again.

4. moosman66

moosman66 New Member

State:
    virginia
    I dont think the info above will help you in determining when the flats move up the river. He said when the dogwoods bloom... well heres the problem. i know of 3 different dogwood species which start blooming from march to some on into june before blooming so you really need to know which species he is referring to since there are all sorts of dogwoods with different blooming times

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Well, I dunno, but that sounds like a whole lot more fishin' fun to me! Just hit the river in March and fish through June--you can't go wrong. :wink:

Welcome to the BOC, Billy! :0a25:

6. Skiff1980

Skiff1980 Member

State:
    VA
    I don't fish that far up river, but if I was to guess I would have to say May or June time frame.

7. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    I've caught them around banister in early march.as far as the dogwoods,the ones that bloom in early spring are the ones I fish by.they have never let me down,at least inthe past 20 or so years anyway!

8. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    Thanks for all the help guys, I'll be sure to be out there as soon as I can.

9. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    MW83, Just in case you didn't know it is very rocky on that end of the river.:0a26:

10. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    Yeah have found that out from fishing before, just didn't get to fish it as much as would have liked last year.

11. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    The water has been so low its been tough to fish in the river much after june,had a great spring there last year and looking foward to it again this year.
    tight lines
    Chris