Flathead catfish in spaniard creek, oklahoma

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by sem21, Mar 17, 2006.

1. sem21

sem21 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    has anybody fished spanyard creek in oklahoma? we go there to catch bait off the bridge to fish fortgibson dam! and we had no luck at fort gibson. just like to know how the fish is in the creek. or if webber falls is good this time of year?

2. sem21

sem21 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I Would Just Like To Know How The Fishing Is For Flats And Blues ? And If Spanyard Creek Is Good For Flats And Blues?

3. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i havent fished webber falls sense last week in jan. was good at that time we cought some nice blues 12-20 lbs a little slow . i fish with my nephew ( hotrod 98) a BOC member. about that time of the year the fish have ben gorging on shad and are about full. then they take about 5 weeks off!. sooo the fishing should be starting to wake up about now. have ben told the river is up. havent fished the crcck, should be good for flaties dont know about blues? not to deep u know.in that creek. mabey last of june for creek? have a day! any day is a good day to sneek up on a fish & it takes a big fish to weigh a hunnert lbs. caatstalker

4. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    man thats a spot ive known about for years because i found by accident as a kid. back then we would fish for anything that bit and we never did any good. we fished that spot one time and caught what seemed to be amillion bluegill and bass. when we got back one of my dads friends told me that was one of his favorite holes for sunfish and bass. it was about a month ago a new coworker told me thats one of his main catfish stompin grounds and i just flipped out when i connected all the dots. if theres one thing ive learned about that river all the way to tulsa is sunfish do real well there so you can usually catch plenty of bait on sight. ive ran that story past a buddy a couple of times since then and we plan on hitting it at night sometime. it seems like i would have thought to target flatheads there a bit earlier in my career but live and learn i suppose.

5. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    spent last week end at brewers bend, blues were biting slow , largest 14# 3-8# were on every time we ran our lines and jugs . my frend catfish bob (lives @brewers bend) keeps a line out yr arround has ben catching flatties for two weeks now . he cought 2 over 50# while i was there. after the big storm on friday- sat night no pix though. have a few getting developed . will post later. have a day

6. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    are there some good bank spots at brewers bend? ive been on every side of that area but ive never actually went to the campgrounds there. i usually fish the webbers falls dam and the wing dams by gore when im down there. ive always been curious about brewers though. i can guarantee theres some record cats in the webbers falls lake but when your on the bank they can be pretty elusive. thanks in advance.

7. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    captin, the few spots ive seen. to bank fish, one is on the way 2 bend camp park , on the rt side just after u come off the mtn, going north from the lock. a gravel rd turn rt takes u to riverwith a 12-15 ft rod u can get into 12 ft of water pretty trashy/ i have a line in there off a big log. i put a 200ft lead on it to get it into deep water.20=30 ft. but when its bated it nails the fish. from the boat ramp u can reach deep water. lots of trees though. ok if u fish stright out. as for as bank fishing , spanyard creek camp aria looks better , lots of people fish it . i have an alum. boat have graphed that whole aria . at the dam for 1/4 mile north its 50 ft. then the channel goes to 25-40 ft all the way up . drift fishing is good from greenleaf all the way to the lock havent checked it out above spanyard as of yet , i will, a day oh yes my frend cought an 80 lb spoonie up by green leaf got in his line. he cut it loose. he justis guessing. he said with the boll it measured over 9 ft on his boat. he will only keep a flattie .have a day

8. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    hey catstalker, im planning on going down to either spanyards creek or brewers bend this weekend. keep yur eye peeled to the bank and look for the guy with big dreams. did you do any good last weekend? ended up fishing the three forks sunday night for a couple of hours and ended up with a 30 inch flathead and some good missed bites. as soon as i get a boat im gonna be all over that area and also up on the verdigris above lock and dam 18. i grew up out there so i know all the holes. anyways back to work for me....

9. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    .im in the middle of a job right now . should be done in about 6/7 days as soon as i am done i will email u . see if we can get togeather do some fishing . my boat is good for 2 people. its a jonboat 14 /25 evenrude but it works well will get back to u, have ben bz so i have to fish close to home . but i will have a slack week soon . have a day i grew up below lock 15, so we can trade out river arias. i know south of #15 allthe way to #16 like my back yard. was on it before the kerr system was in. some nice fishing . i just like new places to fish.

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Hey, Capt: I live here in Gore. If you'd like to ride with me in my boat while collecting some cats for the freezer, send me a PM and we'll trade phone numbers.

I fish 3X weekly on Kerr and Webbers Falls just for fun. My boat's got plenty of room for you and a friend. (20' center console) Just bring your non-alcoholic drinks, snacks and a cooler for filets.

11. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    hey tkishkape, are u a guide?

12. Fordman

Fordman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    He does guide. He has hooked me up on some nice fish in that area.

13. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I try to be... Who told?

14. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    going to webber sunday tkish are the blues up yet? be there all week:big_smile:

15. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Could be.... I was able to find a few today...

CPR'ed a 16, 17, and a 27, kept 15 from 3# to 5#... all blues but one lonesome 5.23# channelcat

16. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    nice fish , if u dont mind were u in kerr of webber lake , what depth? just a little help before i come down. thanks

17. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I was in Kerr but the same fishing experience can be had in Webbers Falls Lake above L&D 16 any day of the week. The Arkansas River is the best blue cat fishery in the state, bar none.

The water temp in the river is near 67 now and up to 75 in the creek shallows. Fish the shallow water near a channel in the tree stumps and you'll have fun.