Flathead catfish in small creeks

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by barbel, Feb 4, 2006.

1. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I think that we can all agree that there are little creeks everywhere (or at least in a lot of places.) After reading the Catfish In-sider for last year, it enlightened me to the fact that there are channel cats holed up in small creeks that arent necessarily more than 30 feet wide at most. So, I did a bit of brainstorming, thought that maybe some flatheads would be in these things too. So I decided to make this thread to help me, and anyone else, out with any tackle that can be used to fish these small creeks for flatheads. Any help will be appreciated (by at least me) very greatly. TIA.

2. Greasycats

Greasycats New Member

State:
    Iowa
    During a drought year, years ago, while duck hunting a small creek with my father, at every deep hole bend for 4 or 5 in a row we found the dried up, half eaten carcasses of some big ol' flatheads. Twenty or thirty pounders at least. I'm sure they must have come up from the main river during a flood. The flood of '93 has happened since then, so I think this summer I'm gonna spend a day trying too see if any have taken their place. I think 13 years is plenty of time! When I say small creek, I mean small. Only 15 feet wide in some spots, but maybe 60 in others. The bend holes where we found the skeletons might be 6 or 7 feet deep. Do you think those big flatheads came up and stayed there for years until the drought, or do you think they came up the creek in the spring and died in the same year? Anybody got any input or feedback? Thanks.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught some nice flatheads in small creeks near my house years ago..Trouble is a small creek can be fished out in a hurry, and the ones I fished were hit hard, and theres not many left..If you can find some secluded holes on smaller crekks you can do well.

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jack,

Would this Paint?

Paul

5. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    ive caught some real nice flathead from a smaller creek. where im from it usually flood every year in the river and maybe thats when the flatheads migrate upstream, im not sure. all i know is i caught a 20+# flattie in a creek that has many places where he would not have been able to swim through to get to.
    but this creek also has several 10+ foot deep holes, and maybe the flatheads have made a home of this area and never leave. im not sure but i do know there in there.

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i wish i had some creeks like that around here Jack, and hopefully next year i will be in Hocking for school, and i'll be fishing everyday

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yeah, here in Southern Ohio, there are a handful of these smaller streams that I know hold some flatties, ( I wont name them here ) but I have been discussing one of these such creeks with Mellon over the last few months and we are gonna hit it this spring and see what it holds. I have heard of soem locals that keep telling me its full of nice flatties and big channels but we will have to see, Im pretty sure they migrate up as smaller fish looking for a "home" and when they find it and eat everything in the hole, they just get bigger and eventually they are too big to leave the hole without there backs out of the water. so they are essentially stuck there. Ive seen it with other species and so Im sure that is how it happens, On top if this, there is no pressure and natural predators once they get so big, so there safe until that drought comes...:sad:
    Nothing like being the big Fish in a small pond eh??

Salmonid

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    hey mark i sent you a PM but your inbox is full

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I just emptied it, send away!!
    Salmonid

10. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i never realized Flatheads went into creeks, i always knew channels and big carp get into creeks

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    all depends on what you consider a creek. a river the size of the Mad, Still, or Little Miami are considered creeks in other parts of the country.

12. sharpshooter

sharpshooter New Member

State:
    wharton, TX
    A buddy of mine caught a 40 lbs flathead out of a small creek that runs behind his house a couple years ago. he has been running throw lines in it off and on for a long time and never caught anything over 20 until that day.

13. KYCATFISHHUNTER

KYCATFISHHUNTER New Member

State:
    NORTHERN KENTUCKY
    Ive Never Caught Flatheads Out Of The Creeks I Fish. Then Again Im Mainly Baitfishing

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sorry Paul did not see your post..Yes it is Paint Creek..I used to catch alot of flatheads out of paint...Something happend, I always thought is was over fishing, because they are few and far between in paint anymore.

15. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Since I have read this thread and the replies, there is a creek I am thinking about trying this year. I have seen some fish, mostly bluegill and some bass. I have caught bait from it.Its about 20 feet wide and I have been told of quality catfish are in it. I was thinking about trying it out. What would be your bait of choice chasing flats in creeks?

16. FloridaCathunter

FloridaCathunter New Member

State:
    pensacola
    Bringing back a old one,

question: \Did any body ever go and try to catch some from the creeks after this reading this post?

17. arky

arky Well-Known Member

State:
    kansas
    That is a good question!

I fish Crooked Creek and the Buffalo River here in north central Arkansas which are noted small mouth bass streams. I pull 30 and 40 lb flatheads out of each every year. I get funny looks at the ramp site when I put in a 12 ft jon boat and 8 ft rods with 209 Penns on them. Three to four inch bream are the best baits as they attract the bigger fish. I get some pretty good size gar in the Buffalo which has to many of them to begin with. I need 8 ft or more in water and some large cover like boulders or root balls. One of my best holes filled in last spring after a 30 ft rise in the river when we got 24 inches of rain. Hope this spring's flood washes it back out.
    But it is easy to over fish a small river or creek so I turn most of them back. I keep some small channels to eat as no one will miss them.

18. Chuckd67

Chuckd67 New Member

State:
    alabama
    I was amazed while driving down a backroad and noticed a grandfather and grandson standing on the side of the road with a stringer of catfish. I stopped and chatted with him. the creek that passed under the road was only 10 foot wide and knee deep. He said that was the stream that passed through their property and It was a just easier to park there and get to his fishing hole. He told me only one day a year after the dogwoods bloom. It was a family tradition for family members to go catch 5 each and they release anything over 5 lbs. Cane poles only he said they use small sun fish and crayfish. He said that he has fished that hole since 1940 and it just gets better every year.