Flathead Catfish in saguaro?

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by GwillE, Jul 25, 2009.

1. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    has anyone caught or heard of anyone catching flatheads out of saguaro lake? I've caught nice size channel out of there just looking for some were a little closer to home.

2. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    the old man dave with the tank lookin boat at bartlett says their is flats in all the salt river lakes. hope this helps.

3. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    I caught a 5 lb flat on a crankbait yrs ago in canyon,so im sure they would be in saguaro as well!!

4. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    here are a few examples of guys talking about catching flatheads on Sag...

Late post for Thursday afternoon. Had a great day on the water Caught eleven bass even a 9.1. Got a picture taken by a friend of mine and let her go. Finished with a flathead a channel cat and even a ton of big yellows. Saw Bullethead, he got mad for all the fish I was catching. Not really. It was good to see you on the water. Later. [​IMG]

http://www.azbasszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24730&highlight=saguaro+flathead

More....

Saguaro Lake Saturday Night 7 pm-6 am Sunday
    Wow!! Long night out there...Had 3 lm two about 2lbs and one that weighed 7.5 caught on a sweetwater pur/brown craw first cove inside the narrows.Caught the pig at 11:00 then should of been sleepin.Oh and one Flathead that weigh 15 lbs now he will taste good.All LM bass still swimmin. Good Luck Guys!!

http://www.azbasszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29162&highlight=saguaro+flathead

More...

...i caught a 28lb flathead at rosey on a power Worm and my dad Caught a 37lb Flatty on Yamamoto creature at the marina on Saguaro.

http://www.azbasszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70888&highlight=saguaro+flathead

More...

I'm not big on flathead fishing or cat fishing in general, but I caught a fair share of them at Rosy and Sag while bass fishing. My biggest one came from Rosy at over 39 lbs. from a deep diver crankbait. All other smaller one, over 10 and under 20 pounders came from Texas rigged worm at Saguaro lake.

My buddy Tom caught one at Sag one night, but lost it after over an hour fighting it trying to get her in. He doesn't know how big it is since he couldn't get it into the boat before the line break. I also lost one that I think could have weight more than the one I caught at Rosy, but unfortunately, it broke off after about half an hour. There are a lot of big flathead in Saguaro if you don't want to travel far, but you must fish at night for it. Not many people know this, but there are plenty in there

http://www.azbasszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53263&highlight=saguaro+flathead&page=2

5. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    Thanks overkill! thats some great info:big_smile:

6. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    G you thinking of going to try it at saguaro??

7. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    yeah I want to go give a try when I get a chance

8. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona

no problem...the two lakes I'm always curious about are Sag & apache since no one ever talks about them from a flathead perspective...nice to know they're in there..

9. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    AARRRGHHHH,work sucks!!LMAO

10. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    the down side to saguaro for me is when they release water. I remember being in the back river anchored up in a nice hole pulling in some channels then all of a sudden everything is gone. and Im fighting the current.
    I use to boat there with my family and get there early sunday mornings and it was pretty crazy to see all the overnight boaters beached at least 10 feet from the water.
    But I'm going back anyways!!

11. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Sag and canyon suck horribly for flatheads, do waste your time. Now they do both have plenty of channels to go around. Now why they suck is beyond me, cause they are interconnected with roosevelt and the upper salt river. You do not hear about those two lakes for flatties for a good reason!

12. joeldavid

joeldavid New Member

State:
    Mesa, Arizona
    I'd like to fish Sag more often but it has so little shore access and I have no boat:sad2:.

13. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    do you have 4x4? there is a few trails that will get to the back of lake

14. joeldavid

joeldavid New Member

State:
    Mesa, Arizona
    That I have, do you access some good spots from the Rolls? I've never done any wheelin' around Saguaro.

15. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    I never did any fishing from the banks back there . I go back to the river in my boat. I see people fishing back there though and there is some nice coves to camp at there really nice mostly sand.

16. bass or bass?

bass or bass? New Member

State:
    North Phoenix Arizona
    All the lakes on the Salt, Verde, and Agua Fria river systems have flatheads .Some more than others.
    Hey Gilbert, I've never fished Saguaro myself and would like to sometime. I expect to have my boat motor back in shape by mid August at the latest. I'm fishing a striper tournement at Pleasant 8-22-09. I'll let you know when I'll be doing a Saguaro trip.
    ~N.A.F.C.~B.A.S.S.~BoatU.S.~N.R.A.~

17. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    okay cool! good luck at the tourny! let me know how you do!

18. bass or bass?

bass or bass? New Member

State:
    North Phoenix Arizona
    Hey bud, a fishing partner of mine likes to fish Canyon and knows it well. His birthday is September 19, so I was thinking of inviting him to fish at Canyon 9-18/19-09. What do you think? Ever fish Canyon? I've been there twice. His last time out they caught Largemouth and smallmouth bass, crappie, channel and flathead cats, all on nightcrawlers.

19. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I wonder if it's their general shape...the lakes below Roosevelt are long and skinny while roosevelt is much wider??? Does depth play into it too?? You'd think at least apache would hold some good flathead populations since roosevelt feeds it but I never hear about apache either..

20. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I am wondering the same thing, Mark. The spot just below the Roosevelt dam on the left side as you face the dam from below. There are a bunch of cattails and water seems a little slower there. You naturally would need a boat. Seems like the reeds would hold alot of baitfish and the cats would come into that area at feeding time getting out of the current. Anybody ever try right below the dam? If anyone goes by that area check it out from the road.