Flathead catfish in New Jersey?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by copycat, Jul 11, 2006.

1. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Well I took my older brother out on a cattin trip tonight on the Maurice river in N.J. and we got in to the channels pretty good! We also caught these very, very dark (charcol in color) cats that had a flatter head and a wider mouth. I wish I could post a pic but my camera batts died. Trying to fiqure out what they are? any ideas? I thought flatheads didn't roam these waters. HELP!
    Next time I get one i'll be sure to post a pic of it.

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The best way to tell if the lower jaw extends past the upper, its a flathead. Most likely it was a black bullhead that you caught.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Have caught several dark or black cats in the delaware. Heres some pics. I got more on a disc I just gotta dig em out. These were caught by a couple of guys that go with me occasionaly. Its a channel allrite. LOL!

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    if they look like the ones in katfshn's pics they are with out a doubt a channel... Me and my partner caught some like that down on the Choptank River in MD and best we could figure they were a mutation in the Channel cat gere... Idk i catch them occasionally too over around me... they look like they have the head the size of a 5 or 6 lber atleast and then they have the body of a 2 lber... Its confuses me alot... I've been told they are spawners but i guess you can back me up on this... the skull is structurally bigger and the mouth is alot wider then just being a spawning fish with an enlargement of the head/glands in head...

If you still think they are flatties... check the under bite... and also look at the top tooth plate if it looks like a "U" going back in their mouth... then its a flattie...

Only other choice is bullhead... how big were the fish you were catching?

5. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Tom maybe they were white cats but in the Maurice Im sure youve seen them many times before?

6. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Well when I catch another one (and I will!) I will have my camera ready! I been looking at pics of different cats and they may be black bullheads, but aren't bullheads small? these were in the 5-6 lb range. The tail was not nearly as "forked" as a channel.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Flatheads, especially younger ones, are medium brown and have darker blotches on them. The head tells the story. It's FLAT. So flat that you'll know as soon as you see it. That's why they are called Shovel Heads in some areas. The mouth is as wide as the head is. My guess is Bullheads but who knows. Faltheads are new to virginia waters, (20 years), they may be making their way up north. If they can live in Montana, I don't see why they can't live in Jersey!

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    well i think bullhead records are around 8 or 9 lbs for blackies... never know.... if worse comes to worse... call up your DNR when you catch one and see if they can ID it or run a blood test to see if its a cross or bullhead... never know