Flathead catfish in my tank?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by ravenloft420, Apr 17, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I was just wondering if anyone knew if it is illegal to goto the farmers meet and buy a tiny flathead and put it in my fish tank. I kinda wanted to do a river thing with crawdads,a flathead.maybe a small bluegill or two.

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Why not catch one in your throw net? That's what I've done! I have a small channel and a small blue, both are only like three inches long! They are totally AWESOME!!!!

3. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    beleive if I can I will, heard alot of people complaining about the smallin's getting cought up in there net. where do you find them?

wow how do you tell the difference between a blue and channel when there that small?

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    The channels of full of spots and the blues are not...I caught em the same place I catch the shad/asians that I use for bait! I just need to catch a little flatty and I'll have the "TRI-FECTA" of catfish!:tounge_out: I caught a little flatty once but I was so far from home I didn't want to chance him dying so I let him go!

5. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That sounds so cool. My son recently found a 1.5" snapper in the road and has him in a tank in his room. A nice cat would be nice to see as well!

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Oh it's really cool...I was worried at first that they wouldn't eat, BOY was I wrong!! They're little porkers! They love the shrimp pellets and even eat the flake food that gold fish eat! They are neat little boogers!

7. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    what do you feed those small things?? guppies? crickets? small goldfish?

well I guess my post didnt make it in time. u psycic or something? lol

8. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use to keep flats, sunfish and channels year round in my aquarium. Fed the channels and sunfish mostly worms. The flatheads worked over the sunfish every couple weeks. they stayed hid out until you turned of the lights then things got real interesting.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Missouri law prohibits the possession of *any* fish unless they're harvested by legal methods. Whether you put the fish in an aquarium at home or sautee them in butter, you can only take them by legal methods.

Using a throw net to catch baby channel cats for your aquarium is illegal.

Refer to 3 CSR 10-6.410 Fishing Methods and 3 CSR 10-6.605 Live Bait
    http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/3csr/3c10-6.pdf

Additionally, you may only possess fish collected from Missouri waters if you hold a valid Missouri fishing license. So if you start an aquarium, make sure you keep your fishing license current.

Here's an article from the Missouri Conservationist on keeping native fishes in your home aquarium: http://www.mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2002/01/50.htm

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    OK, you say that catching a baby channel using a throw net is illegal, however that article you posted, they suggest using a seine net...what is the difference? I mean I know the physical difference between the two nets but why is it legal to use one and not the other to catch a channel? Now, are you going to turn me in? Are you some kind of snitch or something? LOL I guess I better watch my step now! LOL:lol:

11. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    It has nothing to do with the difference between a seine and a throw net; it has everything to do with the species of fish you can legally take using either one. If you go read the article again, it pretty clearly says you can take only nongame fish using a seine, and nongame fish are the primary focus of the article.

3 CSR 10-6.605 covers Live Bait and says, among other things (emphasis is mine):
    This is the only section of the code where throw nets and seines are permitted as legal methods. But game fish are not a permitted species under this section, so you can't take them with a throw net *or* a seine.

Nah, I don't need to. You've already admitted your violation of the wildlife code in a public forum. If someone at the MDC reads your post and wants to find you, they will...

12. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    umm ya ok so back to my origional question. what if I buy one?? like for stocking a pond, but only my fish tank??

13. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    by the way I would think that taking the time to pick them out of your net and keeping one is a lot better than alot of people Iv heard of just ripping them out or throwing the net full of babies in the trash. jmo

14. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I agree Andrew...They can really tear up a net and sometimes you have to cut them out unfortunately, I think I'll take my chances and keep em safe and sound in my aquarium at home! When they get to big for it I'll place them back in the river in which they came!

15. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    to release it into a river I think it is illegal to do.. but as i see it to have it in a tank its ok. what is considered a non -game fish in your area? the links doesn't tell you anything like that. That my friend would be the first place to start. find out the non-game fish.

16. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    hehe I guess our missing posts are a hint to stop arguing :wink: