FLATHEAD CATFISH IN LOGJAMES

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jun 20, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    WELL ILL BE BUYING A BOAT NEXT JUNE, , TARGETING FLATHEADS, THIS ONES ANOTHER HOOK THING, DO YOU USE A CIRCAL OR A J KAEL, , IM NOT PROMOTING LINKS OR AVERTIZING BUT THEIRS A GUID WHO SAYS, YOU CAN NOT USE A CIRCAL WEN DOING THIS METHED, BECOUSE THEY WONT RUN, BECOUSE THERE ALREADY HOME, THEREFOR THE CIRCAL DOES NOT LOAD UP, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,CATFISH COMMANDO YOU KNOW WHO IM TALKING ABOUT LOL, IM NOT PROMOTING,LOL IVE HEARD OLD TIMERS SAY THIS TO THEY HATE CIRCALS,TELL AN 80 YEAR OLD TO USE A GAMMA, THEY SAY I WONT USE THAT CHINA CRAP

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    it doesn't matter weather i'm on the bank or in my boat i'm using a gamma 8/0 octopus offset circle hook, infact thats all i carry in my box except for a few sickle hooks i use for cut bait:cool2:

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jake, don't listen to those guys. A flathead doesn't have to run to embed a circle hook. All they have to do is close their mouth and turn their head, then you supply the movement with a slow steady pull. :wink:

4. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    took a little river trip last weekend and caught 18 flatheads fishing all logjams and brush and caught em all on circle hooks...8/0 gamas lol. they still run pretty hard atleast most of the time. i had no trouble. hope that helps you out

5. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    The Gammas are very good hooks and you can set the hook your self just give it a good pull with your rod facing strait in front of you.Gamma also has a hooked called the big river hook its looks like a cross between a kahl and circle hook and they realy hook up good caught some good flats with them fishing close to ligjams and caught a 3# blue on it also so it will hook the little ones too.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Glad to hear this about the Big river hooks. I just bought a small pack of them in 10/0 an they are a massive hook with a wicked looking point. Very sharp! Hope to hook it deep into a big ole flatheads upper lip! They will have to perform flawlessly,to ever change my mind over King Kahles though.:wink:

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks bros, ill give them a shot, if i can ever get bait, we had a massive flood, and i just cant get gills, anywere im at a loss

8. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    The reason that Catt--tt says this is because he fishes during the day when they're holed up and you have to drop the bait on their heads. I have never had a hook-up with a circle on flats during the day. After listening to the same advice you got from him, I started catching fish. During the day, I use straight or kahle hooks with the reels' drive engaged(no clickers) and wait for the thump and the steady pressure that follows-the fish has the bait and is sitting inhis hole with it in it's mouth. Although sometimes they will just kill the bait and spit it out, it happens verbatum to what he said in that seminar. That is for me on the river I fish, during daylight hours. At night, on shallow flats or runs when they're actively feeding it's a different ballgame. They'll run to town with a circle in their mouth and I would imagine people do really well fishing with them that way. I just hate fishing a log-jammed river at night, esspecially when the water drops to normal or low pool level. Pay close attention to what he says- it's how he gets paid to fish for a living!:big_smile:

9. jay gibson

jay gibson New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just want to chime with a thanks for clear and concise advice. . . noted, and will be handy. . .