Flathead catfish In Little Rivers?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by miichael, Jul 31, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Are there big flatheads in little rivers? or just 10-15lb flats? Theres a little river here about 4 ft deep but theres a few bends that are about 12ft deep. I have caught few nice 10-15lbers in the holes but i was wondering would it be a good idea to fish this river or head on down the river where the water is 20ft deep? Some places in the river you can walk across about 3ft all way across. I been fishing farther down the river in the deeper water but was thinking about trying up in the shallow. Do you think 20-30lb flats stay up in the little river or do you think as they get bigger they head on down river where its deeper or head into the lake?

2. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    No one can really answer that. Size of a river/lake is not directly proportional to the size of fish. It has more to do with quality and quantity of bait. A creek near my uncles probably never gets deeper than 6-8 feet, and no wider than 30-50 foot. My uncle has pulled 50 pound flatheads from it.

Time of year would effect weather they come up to the shallower area, structure, and water temperture would has a big effect as well.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i would say to explore your fishery, brother scouting at the least.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    a 12ft hole is plenty deep enough for a 30lb 'er. if the 10-15 lb flats get up there then the 30's do too during high water.

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    There are a few creeks around my area that you can almost jump across in most places, very seldom ever get more than 5' deep. I have caught several flatheads in the 25 - 30# range, and seen some around 50# come from both creeks.

6. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    A local river that me and SudDawg fish at that you can easily skip a stone across maybe 45-50ft at its widest. Its deepest is 8-10ft maybe, but more like 5-6 ft and I know of 2 50lbers that have been caught out of this river in the past 3 years. The odds are not good, but the fish are gonna be there.

Aaron

TA2D

7. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It would be my guess that these waters see much less fishing pressure also. Give her a shot.

8. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have seen a few Creeks and Rivers that sound like the ones you are talking about.. But i never really thought of fishing them... Boy dont i feel stupid now...lol.. I really didnt see them producing suck large Flatties nor any other fish.. i have a few like this that branch off the white river where i catch my baitfish... But hopefully from now on they produce more then just my bait.... Im starting tonight.... Man i love this place.....

9. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Back when I was a little squirt, I fished a big creek off a small river, quite a bit. The biggest I ever got ahold of broke my 20 pound test in five seconds, after it started to pull me to the water...guess I'll never know what that weight was....so yeah, if there's a little bit of running water for oxygen, brush to block the current, hide, and hunt in, and there's a bountiful supply of baitfish, then I'd say you'll pull some brutes outta there. I'd keep hitting them deep outside bends. Because if you're catching 10-15 pounders, then that means there's already some food there. Good luck buddy. Hope ya catch yourself a hog.

-Red

10. ridgedog

ridgedog New Member

State:
    arkansas
    i seen my dad pull a 48 pounder out of the river where i live. we set some limb lines out and went 3 days with nothing and then the last day had the 48 on one and 24 pounder on another. it was a hole of water about a 1/4 of a mile long and the deepest was about 10 feet, but were we caught them it was about 5 feet. fish like these are not common for this river, but it shows you never know.

11. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    i go to armstrong bridge and catch channels i wish they would drain it so i could see whats in it...but then again i wouldnt be able to fish there

12. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    You just gotta give it a try. There's a river I fish, well haven't fished it in a couple of years, that in most places is only about 80-100ft wide, has an average depth of maybe 5ft and has some deeper holes in spots. And I personally have never caught any huge ones out of there, one that was about 18lbs, but quite often I see and hear of guys catching 25lb+ flatheads out of there, I think one a few years ago was like 42lbs.

13. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I just caught my personal best in a hole about 15 ft deep so if that helps you any.

14. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Catch most of my big flats in a 12 foot hole. But it is close to a dam.

15. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    just like a lot of these guys are sayin, i dont think the river size restrains their size. i caught a 40 lber this year in a river that doesnt get deeper than ten feet and i caught it in 5 foot of water. a guy caught a 70 lber in the same stretch of river. just set good spots and use good bait and u will do fine.

16. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You can never be sure unless you fish them!!

17. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The river I fish the most has a normal gage height of 4' ft and with a good rig you can cast across it. But Flatties are known to travel long distances. If there is small puddle and I think there is fish holding in it. Im going to fish it. :big_smile: