Flathead catfish in lakes

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by flathead man, May 21, 2007.

1. flathead man

flathead man New Member

State:
    ohio
    My question is this... ive allways got by bait from lakes or rivers i plan to fish but if i cant find the bait i want for the trip i switch to a bait that i can catch outta the lake or river, if i take bait outta a pond or water that dosent have flatheads will they catch flatheads in a lake that dose? An
    example is indian lake dose not have flatheads in it (or very few) but clendening or tappan lake dose if i take bullheads outta indian lake (witch i catch a bunch of) and take them to tappan or clendening will i catch flatheads like if i got the bullheads outta the lake i plan to fish? I went to tappan this weekend for a tournment and could't find bullheads so i had to u bluegills we did ok but my buddy got a 72lb7oz flattie off of a bullhead and we were fish the same spot so i know bait makes a difference. just need to know if pond bait will catch lake or river flatties? thax flathead man

2. Katphish

Katphish New Member

State:
    tennessee
    did you say 72 pound flattie? or was that a typing error?

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    My answer to your question is yes. You wont find bullheads in natural flathead habitat waters yet they can be caught on bullheads. Same as goldfish. I have even caught flatheads on cut mackeral. Although most studies will tell you that they prefer to eat what ever baitfish is native to the flathead waters, I have found that they are very aggressive predators and will eat almost anything presented to them as long as it has guts and blood.

4. flathead man

flathead man New Member

State:
    ohio
    wolfman why wont i find bullheads in natural flathead water? we catch them outta the spillway in a creek that i know are flatties and there are bullheads in all the lakes i fish for flatties i just dont do catch a lot of them? So what ur saying is they dont know the difference between pond bait and lake bait? i figured pond bait wouldnt know how to react to a predator the way a natural bait dose?....flathead man