Flathead catfish in lakes

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by miichael, Jul 14, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok guys im getting stumped here need some help. Lake I been fishing suppose to be full of flatheads. I fished last night up in the river section of the lake fishing some drop offs. Theres really no cover for them. No log jams or good structure. The river part of the lake water is from 4-12 feet deep with 16ft being the deepest in a few bends. The lake part is HUGE with water 80-100 feet deep. I need info on where to fish. Last night we fished above a train trussel and caught a 8lb and a 2 lb flathead fishing drop offs in a bend. Do i need to go farther up river? move back down in the lake part? any advice would be great.

Heres a map of the lake.

http://www.dukepower.com/lakes/lakefacts/norman.pdf

On the map we fished the upper part where the train track crosses the river where lyle creek comes in. I do not know this lake very well there could be good structure farther down in the lake but i figured it would be better fishing for flatheads up in the river sections. Any info would be great.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I am not from the area but if I were to be fishing a tournament these are the exact steps I would take. My 1st choices by the map supplied would be Cowans Ford Dam below the spillway and above the island. My second choice would be Lookout Shoals Dam below the spillway. My third choice which should be my first choice would be to get some local, or some biologist information. That lake is HUGE! Next, understand that structure is not always a fallen tree. True, Flatties love fallen timber, but they also like holes in the bank or a contour change on the bottom even if it is only a foot difference. Look for old river channels, and find the correct depth with food, shelter, and shallowas all in close proximity.

Good Luck

3. Jackfish

Jackfish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    in a lake I would find a relativly shallow bad that is close to deep water, figure out what the key structure points are and make sure your bait is prime - big flattites are a waiting game so even if you figure out the perfect spot it may take a number of nights to hit them, from my experiance it seems lake flatties are not as high in numbers as river flats but the tend to run larger - good luck

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    One thing that catches my eye is the mouth of Buffalo Springs Creek where the railroad crosses over the mouth of the creek. I would fish that mouth of the creek hard and at different times. Look for sharp dropoffs in that area close to a shallow flat. Concentrate on the down current side of the mouth. Fish the deep water early evenings and after dark move into the shallows closer to the bank. If that creek has a submerged stump field in it. Thats where they will be.

I usually can find flatheads at the down current side of tributaries entering the river. Good luck.

5. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Wolfman there where that creek comes in theres a big sand flat about 5ft and a channel that drops off about 12-15ft and thats deepest. I fished that area one time for about 2 hours but didnt get a fish. That cove back up in there is shallow. Theres no structure around that area at all the train track runs down that side and its all cleared off. Maybe i should give it another try one night and see what happens.

6. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    went fishing at robinson lake and i caught 3 catfish