Flathead catfish in Lake Tawakoni

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by djwjtruckin, Aug 25, 2009.

1. djwjtruckin

djwjtruckin New Member

State:
    W. Tawakoni, TX
    First off this is my first post here and want to say hello to all from Tawakoni, TX. Wanted to show off my catch this week!:smile2: About 2 am 08-25-09 in Rabbit Cove in 10 foot. Took it to Bait and Store in E. Tawakoni and 84.4 LBS.!!:crazy: on the wall of fame, but not quite the record. My best and my nephew was very helpful! We pulled this thing in on a 10' jon boat and a trolling motor! This was caught on a jug line. I am very happy it was not on rod and reel in the Jon boat it was difficult enough to get it to shore on a jug.
    Keep on fishin

Attached Files:

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Welcome to the BOC DAN..Nice flathead in anybody's book :eek:oooh:..You put him in the freezer?

3. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Really nice flattie. Congrats

4. djwjtruckin

djwjtruckin New Member

State:
    W. Tawakoni, TX
    Being that I am a novice fisherman, only having started fishing 3 mo. ago I am still learning a lot about the sport. When I caught the fish, I was so surprised by his size that I wanted to take and have him weighed at our local bait store.

By the time we got it weighed, it was so extremely hot outside that it got too hot and expired. So inevitably he was put into ours and other needy families freezers as we did not want it to go to waste. Next time I will be more familiar with how all this works and be more prepared to react more swiftly and therefore, hopefully be able to release it back to the lake.

5. SeanT.

SeanT. New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Texas
    Thats a nice flattie. What bait was you using on them juglines.

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  7. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas

Welcome to the B.O.C. Dan,

And congradulations on the nice Flathead,

8. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Congrats on the PB. :big_smile:
    WOW other monster fish killed :sad2::angry: How are you possibly gonna keep a fish alive with no livewell big enough to keep him alive? I dont think they make a cooler big enough to hold an 80lb fish. maybe they do.

9. djwjtruckin

djwjtruckin New Member

State:
    W. Tawakoni, TX
    I want to say the Bait and Store and I tried very hard to hurry and get this fish certified! The hard work of the owners and I did not pay off this made us all very sad! I also want to say... most of the people who own land on the water fronts are fantastic and will help any way possible. Some of the people who own the lease on the water fronts no mater if this is a park, group, rv park or such, should also try to help us fisherman to get in or out of the water to help save these animals. I am very sorry this fish did not make it back in time.

10. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Dan, I wouldnt sweat it much. You made the effort, and for sure was the biggest fish you have caught. I am not a die hard CPR guy. I do release every fish over 10, but that is my choice. I have no issues with people that keep big fish to eat. As long as the fish didn't go to waste I wouldnt worry about it one bit.

11. djwjtruckin

djwjtruckin New Member

State:
    W. Tawakoni, TX
    Cathog I would really like it if you would be the first on my friends list:big_smile: Thanks again for your kind words. I will be fishing Sunday back in Rabbit Cove if you are out and about please feel free to look for me I will be on my jon boat.
    thanks again

12. djwjtruckin

djwjtruckin New Member

State:
    W. Tawakoni, TX
    Sean T. I used Perch and Chad on the jugs and I am not sure witch on this guy went for to be honest I was far to excited to notice. I did get allot of 2.5" to 3" Shad that day in the boat slip at Tawakoni Marina

13. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Yup... don't sweat it. As long as it's not wasted. My personal CPR rule isn't based on poundage but the level of fish in the freezer.

14. djwjtruckin

djwjtruckin New Member

State:
    W. Tawakoni, TX
    Thanks for the support. Happy Fishin:tounge_out::wink:

15. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    welcome to the boc and nice yellow cat there

16. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Welcome to the BOC DAn. Nice fish and I agree with cathog as long as the fish did not go to waste you did good.

17. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    I will second that nomination! Congrats on a great fish. It wasn't wasted and you have learned, some never do.

18. kitty_lover

kitty_lover New Member

State:
    texas
    next time maybe bring your own large scales to weigh it. take some quick pics and release it to re-populate. not always easy to do i know though. dont sweat it too much. my personal best is only 5lb so i wouldnt know anyways..lol

19. bankfisher73

bankfisher73 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Very,very nice flathead there. WTG

20. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Great fish and a very noble effort on your part to get him back in the water. The catch and release is a personal decision. I applaud your effort and ethics. In the end he did not go to waste. That is what counts.