Flathead catfish in Falls Lake?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by slabinator, Jun 1, 2006.

1. slabinator

slabinator New Member

Caught a few channel cats and 1 baby flathead in Falls on Memorial Day. I think this is the second small flathead I have caught in Falls. The first time I caught one I assumed that I was mis identifying the fish. This time I took a good look at it and looked at a picture of a flathead when I got home. I am 99% sure it was a small flathead. Has anyone else heard of flatheads in Falls? Any big ones? If so I will start using live bait rather than cut on some of my rods to see if I can catch a bigger one.

2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Are you talking about Falls dam below Badin or Falls of the Nusea river. If your talking about Falls dam, I've caught plenty of flats from there. I think the biggest has been around 30lbs.

3. slabinator

slabinator New Member

Sorry about the confusion. I'm talking about Falls Lake On the Neuse River just north of Raleigh.

4. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    I caught one that was about 3 pounds and my brother caught one that was 8 pounds. This was about 5 years ago. There are plenty of brown bullheads (or some catfish just like them) in the lake as well. They are always small and the color is the same as a flathead. A lot of folks call those flatheads as well.

I wouldn't waste a lot of time targeting them in Falls. Live bait though....now that works great for decent sized channel cats and stripers there.

5. nccatfish1

nccatfish1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    what is some of the best bait to catch flatties? also what is the best way to set up my line? any help be great!