flathead catfish in east MI

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by jspiel, Apr 5, 2009.

1. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    every year somebody asks the question: Are there flathead cats on the east side of the state? as far as i remember the answer has always been not that we know of......We may now know.........on page 89 of the april woods and water news there is a picture of a guy that claimed to have caught a 43 inch, 33.46 pound flathead in the Saginaw river while fishing for walleyes. I do not offer this as definitive proof, but do offer it up as the first ( that i know of) photographic evidence of flatheads on the east side of the state. Does anybody else have an opinion?? just wanted to pass this along to the brotherhood.

2. CatfishingFreak

CatfishingFreak New Member

State:
    Michigan SW
    I don't see why there wouldn't be flathead's on the East side. Same river systems. Plenty on the West side where I live!
    CF

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Hi Jon,
    Funny you should mention that. I was recently quite surprised to read that three master angler flatheads in 2008 came from the Saginaw.
    My guess is that there's been some wildcat stocking going on...

4. j-mack

j-mack New Member

State:
    michigan
    My reply must have gotten erased when server went down. I commented on how on 4-18-09 myself and my uncle saw on on the riverbank dead that would have been atleast 20 lbs. This was on M-13.

5. mich dave

mich dave New Member

State:
    Otisville
    Kind of odd that their caught in the river in the winter and the bay during the summer. Nobody really go after them, there caught while fishing for walley. I'd like to try but ther's allway's a hatch going on and with the ancor light on ya can't take the bugs.

6. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    The Huron River, up to thirty pound flatheads live in there. The farther down stream to Lake Erie the better. Hope this helps.

7. wolverinejunkie

wolverinejunkie New Member

State:
    mi
    I live in metro detroit and have been lookin for an east side flathead destination. where is the best place to launch a boat to fish for flatheads on the huron? Do you fish for them, or catch them by accident? Any bait stores around to get suckers?

8. twohats

twohats New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I live close to the Huron,but I have never heard of Flatheads in there. I may have to give it a try.Thanks for the info.

9. j-mack

j-mack New Member

State:
    michigan
    On the Michigan Sportsmans Forum a guy posted a picture of a nice flattie he caught in the river. The picture was posted on 6-5-09:big_smile: