flathead catfish in colder water

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by oklahoma caveman, Jan 29, 2009.

1. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    a river near my homecomes through a hydroelectric dam. this causes the temp of the water to peak at roughly 65 degrees. as far as i know the temp stays fairly constant all year, although it may drop a few degrees i doubt its much. i know this river has a flathead population.

my questionis how likely are these fish to be caught? would they always be more sluggish than the fish in a normal river system? would they be more easily caught during the winter than fish in a normal river system?

thx in advance yall

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Good Question Fred,It is my understanding that Flathead Cats go dormant during winter periods and head for the deep holes in winter time on rivers and impoundments,but with that said i think you will be able to catch Blues and Channel Cat in the warm water discharge. I would also be interested in knowing the answer also.J.D.

3. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I am sure that they are catchable. Last winter I know some people that caught some below a warm water dishcarge on mister twisters and jerkbaits.

4. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There's a warm water discharge not too far from my house, and from what I hear, they slaughter flatheads in the winter as long as they are running water. That warm water keeps the baitfish up in the channel and the flatheads just follow them.

5. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    ok to clarify this isnt exactly a warm water discharge. the water is around 65 degrees during the summer, and may drop a few degrees in the winter but im not really sure. it comes from the very bottom of a deep lake so the temp doesnt change much

6. pitbull33

pitbull33 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Ive never fished a discharge, now I must find one and try.

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Look for standing timber in deep water (30-50 ft) use your locator to find the fish on bottom. Most of the time there will be several fish in a small area. I use a short shank hook molded on a 3/4 oz jig head, hook bait thru lips and drop it to the bottom jig it up and down about 1 1/2 to 2 feet. The bite will be slow but when one gets it you will know Use a real lively bait Bullhead about 6" are good