flathead catfish in cold weather?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by chrisfaulk, Mar 2, 2006.

1. chrisfaulk

chrisfaulk New Member

i fish the cincinnati area/ ohio river alot. i'm already getting antsy and ready to fish, but the temperature here is still around 30-50 degrees. i dont mind the cold but is that too cold for flatheads or bluecats to bite. i never fished this early in the year so i dont know. and if so what time of the year is about the right time to start back?( by the way, im bank fishing)

2. sliprig1

sliprig1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    As a general rule I have always heard a water temp of 50 for flats, you can catch blues anytime. The bite picks up in the fall with fallin temps. Some real pigs are caught in Nov-Dec. Water temps below 40 I downsize the bait/hook size.

Slip

3. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They start moving about when the water is 55 degrees. But they feed little so they will be harder to catch. Here (Illinois) you can catch them about late March but you dont catch them concistently till about May.

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    the blues hit year around. But the flatheads wont turn on until the temps reach 55 degrees. And i hear about people catching flatheads in the winter, but im not convinced they arent snagging them

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you fish the cincinnati area, May will be a prime month for flatheads, all the way up till the end of June when they spawn.