Flathead catfish in Cedar Rapids

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Eudora, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    I am planning to go out to Cedar Rapids in mid-April, and I wondered if anyone could recommend some good areas to fish for flatheads. I know the Cedar River runs through that area, and we would also be willing to travel if another river held more potential.

Andy

2. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I'd like to know I will be up there for Memorial Day weekend.

3. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Also, blue cats are fair game, too. Any advice on where to catch 'em would be much appreciated.

4. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    i know the cedar river has some flatheads in it but i dont fish it much...only a couple times ever but i fish the des moines all the time and i have caught plenty of flatheads on it...its pretty hard to find bluecats unless u fish the missouri or the mississippi rivers in iowa...atleast ive never seen caught any or seen any caught...if u fish the des moine river though u should catch some flatheads...hope that helps...

5. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    I live on the Cedar South of cedar rapids about 20 min and I have great luck with flatheads, but I have never caught a blue. I have heard that they are there, but so far, no luck. I would recommend a few areas. If you go to google maps and zoom in on Cedar Rapids you will see the Cedar River. Now, I like fishing Palisades State park (SW of Cedar rapids just off Highway 30). But I wouldn't overlook all of the parks upstream of Cedar Rapids either. The water probably isn't quite as polluted and there are lots of big fish caught around seminole valley and chain lakes. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those areas. Good luck, and if you have any more questions or want some more details let me know!

The wapsipinicon river (NW or cedar rapids) also has good flathead and channel fishing. It is a little bit of a drive, and it is a smaller river, but you will catch fish. The central city area is a great, and scenic place to fish.

6. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Josh and Andy-

Thank you for your advice. Hopefully, I'll have some pics to post when I get back.

7. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    if your planning on bringing a boat you may want to keep an eye on the river just before you come. april can get a little crazy with flooding on some of our rivers and the cedar is no exception. last year it didnt stabilize until late may. with all this snow this year it may take even a bit longer. if it is back to normal then the boat you bring (im not sure what you run) but at least above cedar rapids it can pretty shallow in certain areas. just a few thigs to think about. good luck and keep us posted.

8. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I live in the Cedar Rapids area but this is my first year to really do any catfishing. I have spent a little time on the local rivers though. We have done a little bank pole fishing over the years and catch a few 50lb flats in the Cedar ever year. I only live about 3 miles from the Wapsi river also. I haven't done any flathead fising there but it has lots on channel cats. I would be glad to show u where all the boat ramps r and tell u what I know. If u r having to stay at a motel or anything I can also offer u a save place to store your boat. I would be happy to let u lock it up behind my barn if u need to .

9. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I have gotten a little luck on Wapsi River.

10. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Thanks guys for all your feedback. I'm not bringing a boat, but would appreciate any good places to target while bank fishing. Do you guys think the flatheads will be active around mid-April? Also, do your bait shops sell bluegills, goldfish, or any other large, live baitfishs?

11. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If u arn't bringing a boat I would suggest going to the Coralville dam. A lot of people catch some nice flats at the spillway. If u go to the spillway just take a cast net and u can get all the shad u want or take a ultralight and some worms for bluegill. If u r set of fishing the Cedar I would try Palisades state park. They have some good access for bank fishing. There is a roller dam there with a deep hole below it. I sold my old boat and my new one is supposed to be here first week of April. If my boat is in I would be glad to take u out of the river. But u know how on time delivery goes these days.

12. King Flats W'loo

King Flats W'loo New Member

State:
    iowa
    you'll have better luck fish cedar river in waterloo for ur flatheads cedar rapids isn't known for flatheads

13. King Flats W'loo

King Flats W'loo New Member

State:
    iowa

great northern pikes in the wapsi if you fish wapsi find deep holes for the flats

14. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Anyone been out in the Cedar Rapids area lately? I'll be headed out that way in a few weeks from now. Just wondered if anyone's been doing any good.

15. deadweight_sinkersho

deadweight_sinkersho New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ive seen blues pulled outta the des moines river, although few and far inbetween, lots of flattys though, try grand ave bridge, it does good fer me and the rugrat

16. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    water temps are still to cold here for the flatties. be a couple of more weeks at least. its kind of a "late " spring here

17. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good luck on your fishing trip hope ya catch a bunch

18. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Hey guys:

Thank you for all your advice. My friend and I went out last Friday on the Cedar near the downtown. We were below the dam by 151. The weather was bad, and we didn't even get a bite. I figured it was still a little too cold for the flatheads.

19. DaleJrFan2008

DaleJrFan2008 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    A few good catfish holes is by the klondyke spill in nothern iowa lyon county

20. QUAKERMAN

QUAKERMAN New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I used to do a lot of fishin on the cedar where prarie creek dumps into the cedar and usually had good luck. I cauaht all kinds of fish in that spot not just catfish and usually at night. Three poles got tore up in that spot by some nasty carp one night. Thats when i decided to start useing heveir gear.