Flathead catfish in about 55 degree water...

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Spencer_Blanton, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    I'm really trying to become a student and scholar of catfishing. I've been monotoring the USGS site for my local river to hit 55 Deg Far. It's now peaking there for about 45 minutes a day peaking around 7:00 pm. So what?

I know that a water temp of 55 degrees will start the Flatheads into prespawn feeding. Yet, I wonder what kind of 55 degrees. Is this such that the temp must be there for a certain number of hours or all day long?

Don't get me wrong. I'm going to tell the wife that prespawn is on and sneek off fishing at every opportunity. I would just like a metter understanding of the window I really should be looking at.

Spencer

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Spencer, at 55 degrees the flatheads will start to become active. They will progressively get more agressive as the water warms further. You might hit the occassional flathead at 55 degrees, but they aren't going to be aggressive until the temps get up in the sixtiees. Vern

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm fishing the MO river near KC. I've never caught a flathead, but I'd like to get a hook into one this year. I think I've got the basics down from what I've read on the site (live bait, slack water, and fish the ugliest snags I can find) but I'm curious about the water temp as well. Once it gets in the 60s, do I want to stake out the mouths of feeders around sundown to try and catch them as they move up the feeder creeks, or will they be biting during the day since the water isn't real warm? I'm assuming early evening while the water is still warmer would be the time to go after them, but like I said, I've never caught one. Any advice for spring flatheads would be appreciated. Thanks!

Branden

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught very few flatheads in 55 degree water, and most have been small ones..Now 60 degrees LOOK OUT!