flathead catfish hunt on the kaskaskia.

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by hock_paul, Jun 29, 2009.

1. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    My friend brandon and I went out south of baldwin friday night with some green sunfish and cutbait to see if we could get on some flats. When we got there, much to my surprise, the water had dropped at least 6 feet since wednsday! We gave her hell anyway, but couldn't connect on a flatty. We did manage to boat 7 nice channel cats and one decent sized blue.
    Sunday we headed north from Fayetteville with a bunch of goldfish and greenies at dawn to try our luck there. We wound up with five flats and two channels with nothing over ten lbs..:eek:oooh: We caught all of our flats from 6-10 a.m. around rootballs and heavy timber in holes. I think the spawn is in full swing and all the big guys are either laying eggs or guarding their beds. We had a fun time anyway, and I even kept two of the smaller ones for the table.:wink: I did run into a commercial fisherman who said he was doing pretty good and watched him boat a 60 lber.:angry:, but I won't get started on that!
    I'll probably head there for the holiday weekend, they are a blast to catch no matter what size they are! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Attached Files:

2. USNTWEEK

USNTWEEK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nice fish. I hope to hit the Kaskaskia sometime this year.

3. JMANWI

JMANWI New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nice fish Paul. I was over in Fayetteville a couple weeks ago on a Monday(before that huge storm). Me and a buddy put out some lines to scout some new fishing holes and we got so much rain overnight that the river had to have went up 2-3 ft. We pulled some decent flats on the lines we could actually find. Has the water really dropped that much up in Fayetteville too? Also, not sure if you use a cast net for bait at all but I've had a heck of a time finding shad around there this year. In past years I've never had a problem. Any idea if and where people are getting them around Fayetteville.

Thanks

4. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I usually catch my shad around new athens and south. I've never had much luck up there, so I usually bring some up.GOOD LUCK! P.S. If you've never targeted them with rod and reel, you ought to give it a try. There's not a fish swimming that's more fun or rewarding!:big_smile: