Flathead catfish help

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by matt, Jun 19, 2006.

1. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    going out for flathead this wednesday i would love some help from all yall flathead lover like me be wanting one all year doe any body know what kind of bait they love and are they deep or shallow in hot weather and what is your favorite bait for them any help will do thanks matt

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Not sure how your water is right now but i would definatelly try and get some live bluegill to use for bait. Good Luck

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    please understand that I am a novice so, like you, I too am learning as I go. I have been using live blue gill, cut blue gill, and chicken livers and a whole lot of patience...

4. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Matt I would use live bait to entice a big flat(blue gill,carp,what ever is legal in SC),flatheads are cold-blooded so as the water gets warmer their metabolism increases.This will cause them to burn energy just sitting still,not to mention chasing prey,so i would fish real tight to cover,put the bait right in their face.I wouldnt fish any deeper than 9'.

5. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I use live and cut 'gills...but here lately, the cut bait has been getting the majority of the action!! I just take a large bluegill and cut the head off right behind the gill plate, then run a hook through the tail section, right above the anal fin.

6. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    the weather been beween the 85 - 98 that is hot in the sun will they bite in that kind of weather ??

7. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    In the summer time you'll have better luck at night when fishing for flatheads.Their nocturnal by natureand its not as hot so they dont use as much energy as compared to the day time. When it gets hot they wont expend abunch of energy chasing bait fish,so you kinda have to put the bait right in there face. Make it easy for them.

8. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    i just use gills, or chiken liver and i catch um. and they feed in shallow water at night, on the bank.

9. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    use bluegills or bullheads as bait, flatheads usually move less than an hour a day in search for food so stay tight to cover in atleast 4 feet of water (thats in total darkness) and atleast 8 feet during the day

10. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    What size sinker do you use when when fishing for flatheads and using a live bluegill 4-8 inches big?

11. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Wieght size depends alot on the size of bait you are fishing as well as how strong the current is.I usually fish up to 5oz,but sometimes I will almost flyline gillz in shallow water tight to the bank with a 1/2 oz sliding sinker and a 2 foot leader when the current is melow.But I have not caught any monster flatheads,Im still learning as well.

12. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i would say.........live bluegills. works for me

13. jruckman41

jruckman41 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i like using suckers blue gills

14. jruckman41

jruckman41 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i like using suckers and bluegills

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i use skipjacks and thread fin or yellow tail shad and sometimes moon eye shad but try and use them live if possible iv caught a flat head every trip out any where from 20' deep to 47' deep havent fished the shallows since early spring the water is just hot near the bank even the bait fish iv been catching are out in the river ,if i were you id fish live bait near ledges or stumps ,even sunkin logs or bumps and holes on the bottom , watch your fish finder for fish on the bottom , good luck

16. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    We caught a few nice flathead a couple of weekends ago here in Kansas in about 18" of water. Our biggest was 20#, but I had one that was about 50, got right to the edge of the bank, he saw the light of the lantern and bolted so fast I could not keep him from breaking off. Our bait of choice has ALWAYS been black perch, I have never and I repeat never caught or been with anyone who has caught a flathead on bluegill. I know they work for some, mostly in other parts of the country, but they just don't work around here. This night, our biggest flattie was on a goldfish, they have been working really well lately too.

Look for water around waist deep at the bottom of a riffle, the running water stays cooler, and the riffles create more oxygen, making it a lot more comforatable for those flatties.

Good Luck!