FLATHEAD CATFISH HELP

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by STEWART, Oct 7, 2009.

1. STEWART

STEWART New Member

State:
    CA.
    i am a fisrt time catfisher,lots of bass fishing but not a lot of experience fishing for FLAT HEADS, CAUGHT A FEW JUST SCREWING AROUUND THE CANALS IN THE COACHELLA VALLEY. I AM ON A MISSION TO CATCH A BIG ONE,I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS SO THIS SITE LOOKS LIKE THE PLACE FOR ANSWERS HOPE YALL CAN HELP.THE AREA I WILL BE FISHING IS SOUTH OF PALO VERDE CA. I REALIZE LIVE BAIT IS A MUST.LOOKING FOR A FEW WAYS TO RIG THE BAIT NOSE HOOKED TAIL HOOKED? HOW MUCH WEIGHT,CURRENT IS MOVING ABOUT 5 MPH,LOTS OF GRASS FLOWING DOWN THIS RIVER.I WILL BE USIHG BLUR GILL TALAPI LARGE GOLD FISH FOR BAIT. WHAT TYPE @ SIZE OF HOOKS,WHAT TYPE OF AREAS DO YOU LOOK FOR? ARE U LOOKING FOR ACTIVE BAIT ? SLOW MOVING WATER,FAST MOVING WATER,IOG JAMBS ETC. I HAVE MST OF THE RODS @ REELS. IS MOON PHASE A BIG DEAL WHAT IS THR PRIME TIME OF YEAR MOON PHASE AND MONTH WEATHER TEMP FOR THE BEST TIME TO CATCH A MONSTER FLAT HEAD. I APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP, I WILL KEEP YAL POSTED ONE MY SUCESS PS THEY ARE REAKKY ENJOYING GEETTING TOSPEND SOMR QUALITY WHITH THER FATHER THAKS AGAIN FOR ALL YALLS HELP . IF YAAL CAN THINK OF AN OTHER IF INFO I WOULD I POORECIATE IF I FIGURE OUT ANY YHING I WILL POST IT THANKS AGAIN STEWRTW WILLIAMS. EMAIL STEWART EMAIL STEWRTWCVCS@HOT MAIL ,COM

2. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Read the topic titled, "Alamo"

Lots of info there

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    You are on the right track,, sounds like,,

Backwater, or current,, use weights sufficient to hold your bait,, 3-10 oz..usually

use hooks sized to your bait,, gotta have the point exposed..

Lots of opinions on hooks,, I use 7/0-10/0 Kahles.. some like circles 8/0 and up.

J hooks have always worked..

Live bait is good,, Fresh cut bait is good,, Nightcrawlers will work, also..

Hook swimmers above the spine, behind the dorsal..or below the spine.. with some rigs.

or up through the lips..
    Cut/Heads,, I run the hook sideways through the eyes..

Go fish!!!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  4. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Stewart, Greg (the jarhead):eek:oooh: gave you some pretty sound advice, I fully concur with. I want to welcome you to the BOC & you will find a lot of good tips and advice & good people here.
    Greg... just kiddin bro about the jarhead thing:smile2:...brothers in arms:cool2: 81-08

5. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    Check out Bluehunter's post's or his web sits WCCM. LDJ Welcome Aboard:big_smile:

6. STEWART

STEWART New Member

State:
    CA.
    THE MISSION BEGINS I WILL KEEP YALL POSTED THANKS AGAIN! STEWART

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the BOC Stewart, from Fresno:wink:

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Hey Stewart welcome aboard. A wealth of info info here all you need to do is ask. Many past threads will cover what you need to know. Also Many gatherings and events in the future to be held so attend if you can. We are here to help and spread knowledge amongst each other and fun fishing experiences as well.

B

9. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Welcome to the BOC from Fresno CA. You should be able to get some pretty good info from here. Lots of good people. Good luck on your flat mission.:wink:

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a25:
    To the BOC Buddy - You are at the right place to learn about getting Flats.
    I'm like you - a Ba$$ fisherman but I think that I could hold my own when it comes to catfishing as well. But I'm not to proud to say that I have learned alot from these guys here, & you well to - "Just as"!

11. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    nice avatar greg,tell us
    i am makin a run out next weekend,oct16-17
    lookin for a fellow flatman to go,hint,hint
    ps welcome to the boc stewert,i fish that area south of the verde quite a bit,there are nice flats, good luck

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  12. flattymatty

flattymatty New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Great useful post for someone on the hunt for their first flatty! Lots of options for many different scenarios. Great post Greg. Semper Fi. USMC Aug 92-Aug 96.