Flathead catfish help - Fishing a new lake

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by striper, May 14, 2006.

1. striper

striper New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i am going to start fishing a new lake that is about 350 acres and is only open during the day. no, it is not a pay lake, it is a state lake that closes the gates at 8 pm... since i am not familiar with the lake what kind of areas should i start looking for. it has a great population of brim. don't know any depths or contours but it has a healthy population of big flatheads and i want to start catching some of these monsters..... the lake record is 60lbs and i want to beat that..... any help would be great... thanks..

ed

2. catfishin_fool420

catfishin_fool420 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    I wouls say try and find the deepest hole and get some big tackle and some pumpkin seeds or big bluegill and hang on it shouldn`t take long for the big one.

3. mallard

mallard New Member

State:
    ks
    I am currently fishing a new lake, but here in oklahoma we are allowed to use jug lines, I use several of these until i find a honey hole. Also I keep a notebook and make plenty of records of time, temp, wind, pressure etc.

4. striper

striper New Member

State:
    north carolina
    went to the lake today and caught 3 nice size channels... 7,10 and 12lbs all on cut bait... i had the fresh cut bait out on 2 rods and live 4-6" bream on 3 rods... i had 1 run off on the live bait and missed it... but here is the question.. the lake is about 400 acres and is a max of 25' deep.... the only structure is on the shoreline, alot of down trees and some grass.... the lake doesn't have any real channel edges, it goes up slow from 25 to 2' at the bank... it kind of looks like a frying pan... i didn't see any channels just a flat bottom.. how would i find the flatheads on this kind of water... any help would be great...

ed

5. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    fish those falling trees with live and cut bait on the bottom and use floats if the wind is right let the floats float right into the brush and fish as early as they will let you hopefully right at daybreak would be good. if u can start early enough try the flats and banks they should still be shallow looking for a meal around daybreak. dont over look the dam area or docks or any other man made structure.

6. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    No structure---Fish cover (IMHO)

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    make brush piles or set a trot line just before they close, and return first thing in the morning. if there is no real structer or cover its hit and miss till you happen up on good spots. what about weed beds or creeks? have you looked at it with google earth? it seams like at only 400 acres it will just be a matter of time till hit a big one. those are some fair channels there@ 10-12#s. take some pics of those bruisers next time!

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Striper, look for a contour map of the lake, either at the bait shops or from the DNR. Anything you can find will be more than you know now, even if the map is 20 yrs old. There should be an old creek or river channel running thru the lake. Your best bets would be to fish around that woody structure on the bank any place the channel swings close to the shore. Spread out your baits, from 1 to 2 ft. deep all the way into the channel. If the dam is covered in rip rap that will be a pre-spawn and spawn area you should try. If it was me I'd go to the ranger station and start making myself known to the guys that patroll the lake after dark. Asking them knowledgeable questions about your quarry, asking if you can do anything to volunteer once in a while around the lake. Then after a few months you might just ask if it would be OK if you stayed a little later, or came out a little early. You might be suprised, and get to fish all night. Just keep it to yourself and don't invite all your buddies. It only takes one loser to mess up a good thing, you know.