Flathead Catfish Have Gone Wild

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Cuz, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hello all. Just wanted to let everyone know the Flattie bite has exploded on the river. As for me, I dont try and catch Flatheads at all. I strictly fish for the blues, and when ol cuz catches a flathead its probably more by mistake than skill anyday. Well, yesterday afternoon on the river was a flathead extravaganza. My first set up of the day was on a wing dyke tip and I promptly put a half dozen between 2 and 6 pounds in the boat. I got aggravated since I couldnt find the blues and moved to another wall. Same thing. I could only manage two rods since they were getting hit so fast. No monsters, biggest was around 8 pounds but lots of 5 pounders. I was using live threadfin herrings, and took most fish by simply dropping the bait straight below the boat about 20 feet from the dyke tip. I dont know much about flatheads, but I suppose they are coming off there beds in a feeding frenzy. I just wanted to share as I know lots of BOC bros love goin for the shovelheads. (Kutter). I had nonstop action for 6 hours and dont have one blue to show for it. :sad2: Hope this fishing report helps. I was using a carolina rig setup, with a 8 ott Gamagatsu Circle hook and live threadfins herrings around 4 inches long. Wish I could find the Blues. Just not time yet. Good Luck. Cuz

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Whine, whine, whine....:lol:

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Hang in there Cuz....the Blues are starting to bite here again at the lake so won't be long.:big_smile:

4. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    thanks for the report Cuz,I was hoping to get out this weekend,I'll take catching lots of flatties anytime.Good luck with the blues

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I'm hearing about some blues here and there around KC but nothing real solid yet. but they are definatly starting to come around

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    At least your catching fish .Thats more than I can say.Hang in there you' ll get your Blues in time.

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thx for the encouragement guys. I had another buddy wack the Flats pretty good yesterday too so perhaps me finding them wasnt just a fluke. As well, there has been large numbers of channel cats caught this week. I fished an all night tournament at Alton two nights ago and the Channels were biting pretty good. Most of the Channels have been coming off of Rock Revetments on the main river, both Missouri and Mississippi. Water temperature was 83 degrees, and threadfin herring were plentifull and pretty easy to find. We caught 3-4 dozen threads in 20 minutes on the last two dykes of the Missouri River where it dumps into the Ol Miss. We caught most of them by trolling in three feet of water and throwing into the shallows. As well, we found huge schools of herring on the barge docks at the bend just below the dam. They were jumping out of the water everywhere. There was 10's of thousands of them. I told my partner, if these herring are here the fish will be too so we set up right in the middle of them. We only had two hours of tournament time and we enjoyed a pretty good channel cat bite but all dinks. A five fish limit weighing only 100 pounds took the title. Sounds like alot, but keep in mind the last tournament winner won with 197 pounds on a five fish limit. Pretty nice average eh? Good Luck all. I'll keep posting the conditions as I come across anything exciting. Have fun and Be SAfe out there. Cuz

8. tac eulb

tac eulb Member

State:
    missouri
    Cuz,

What kind of rigs and lures are you using to catch baitfish?

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I use a 5 foot radius cast net.

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    That's awesome!! I finally made out there on the river today for a few hours. I took my wife and 2 1/2 year old daughter out and really wasn't expecting a whole lot. I went to my usual spot where I catch bait and caught an asian carp on the first cast, not a big one, he was only about ten inches long or so. Figured I would just cut him up (a tip I got from this site as I have never tried one before) and toss him out while I try to help my little girl catch fish...no sooner did I put the rod in the holder...WHAM!!! the pole bent over to the water!! I dropped everything and grabbed the pole, set the hook and the fight was on! I have NEVER faught anything this big before in my life! My wife was jumping up and down screaming while I was wrestling this thing. It got to the boat and rolled, MY GOODNESS!! I'VE HOOKED SHAMOO THE WHALE! then SNAP! he was gone. I wanted to cry, :cry: I just stood there awe struck and mixed with so many emotions. I've been waiting so long to hook in to a MONSTER and I finally do and I wasn't able to get him in the boat. :sad2:

Well I did catch a few descent size fellas after that but nothing significant. When all of the bait was gone it was time to head home...but...I guarantee ya I will definitly be trying those asian carp again for bait!!! I have never had that kind of reaction to shad on the MO river. Anyone else have that kind of result? Let me know.

11. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    What kind of line were you using? Didn't you have the drag set? Why do you think it snapped?

12. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I have it rigged up with 50lb Spider Wire, however...it was my father in-laws reel and that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!! :big_smile: Actually I believe it was my knot that gave out unfortunately. I know it wasn't the gear, I hooked him on my 9 foot Quantum Big Catt pole and it was more than capable of landing a fish that size. I'm pretty sure it was the knot that gave.

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I've been telling everyone on here that those asians make great cut bait and will work when nothing else will. Perhaps someone will believe me now. haha. :big_smile: Thx for sharing the story. Wish you could have got him in the boat. Sounds like a big blue to me. They will make you pay for even the slightest flaw in your equipment as so many of the BOC bros can attest. Good Luck goin for the big ones. Cuz

14. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sounds like that the place to be!!

Cuz can I ask why you don't like to fish for flatheads?

Josh

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hello Josh. Thats a very fair question. Its not that I dont like fishing for Flatheads, its that i'm just that infatuated with the Big Blue Cats. I've sorta made it my personal mission to learn all I can about the species, and I love the explosive open water runs the Blues tend to make. As well, I have been fishing alot of tournaments lately, and plan on fishing alot in the future and a search of all the past tournaments indicate that most of the winning teams have turned in considerable blue cat creels. On average, blue cats tend to get bigger than the flats, and to me are a little easier to find on my stretch of river. Of course, if I ever started fishing for the flatheads I'd probably catch just blues. haha. I think Flatheads fight hard, and are a very worthy adversary I just dont spend alot of time chasing them. Look at this way Josh, That makes for alot more Flatheads for you to catch. haha. I catch and release all my catfish anyway, so you, and one day your children can enjoy the rivers and lakes at least as much as we do now. Thanks for your great question. Cuz. :cool2:

16. Mocathunter

Mocathunter New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    thanks for the heads up Cuz. Was planning on getting back after them this weekend, now I'm going to start thursday instead.

17. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Brother I feel your pain I have lost a couple of monster right at the boat also. One year I lost what I belive to be the same fish 4 times over the course of two weeks. Either the fish got tired of being hooked are someone else caught it because it was not there anymore. But keep on tring and soon you will get a monster in there with you.

18. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Every realy big fish I have managed to hook has gotton off.
    Every time it was my fault.
    Drag not set right, not checking for nicks in the line, not closely inspecting 3 way swivels before I tie them on...

But, when I check every single little thing, I don't catch fish at all!

I'm about ready to give up on my big stuff and just go back to the ole 33's and kmart rods.... maybe I can catch a fish then.

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Yeah Sean. The Flats have been biting well. Seems like when that water temp gets into the 80's they really come alive. Good Luck. The smaller blues have been biting pretty good and the big ones usually arnt to far behind. I've caught all my biggest fish in August. I really dont know why, but thats the way it has worked out. There might be a good reason for it, but I sure dont know what it is. Maybe one day I'll figure it out. Good Luck out there.

20. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    :roll_eyes: Blues bigger than flats, maybe on average but I guarantee you that the biggest flatheads are bigger than your bigger blues, Blues are just easier, more common, and are like nomads making them easier to catch.